free website stats program O-Ring sizes...fuel check valve. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

O-Ring sizes...fuel check valve.

Hey Ski, I am guessing that you have the drip, drip, drip of 93 octane. I had the same issue develop on my scooter when out of town on biz travel. Luckily my new neighbor owns a FLHX and was able to disconnect my fuel line and stop the leak while I was gone. My leak was only when the fuel line was connected. I got my o-ring from Home Depot pack of 10 (#41). Changed it out with the QD installed on the tank using a mirror, pic, patience and a few very kind words. But got er' done and have been trouble free for months. Will always put a dab of silicone or grease inside the QD and on the male fitting when disconnecting and re-connecting the line from now on to reduce the possibility of the seal getting pinched or rolling out of the groove. Good luck.

Well....looks like that # 41 o ring matches up to the right dimensions, it's the lower o ring. But the upper o ring is the problem. Went to Napa today and they only had a close match but not a match. This is completely ridiculous...all this trouble for a stinkin little o ring. The Home Depot o rings are not for fuel and I'd rather like to get the proper one. Soooooooo....looks like I have to order the rebuild kit online to get the proper o rings. What a drag paying the high price. This is times when I really get ticked at Harley for not letting their riders know what size o rings they use. Makes things harder for the poor guy to fix his own bike.
Thanks very much for your help!!!!!!!

I think I may just have one :)

mufflerbearing.jpg

Well....looks like that # 41 o ring matches up to the right dimensions, it's the lower o ring. But the upper o ring is the problem. Went to Napa today and they only had a close match but not a match. This is completely ridiculous...all this trouble for a stinkin little o ring. The Home Depot o rings are not for fuel and I'd rather like to get the proper one. Soooooooo....looks like I have to order the rebuild kit online to get the proper o rings. What a drag paying the high price. This is times when I really get ticked at Harley for not letting their riders know what size o rings they use. Makes things harder for the poor guy to fix his own bike.
Thanks very much for your help!!!!!!!
Hey ski, you are correct about that o-ring. Was too impatient to wait for a mail order to arrive... needed... well... truthfully, I had been out of town for quite awhile and was itching for a ride on the ole' scooter. When the time comes again in the future l will go the viton route most likely. But working like a champ thus far. I watched a video on the high dollar fuel QD o ring tool, seems straight forward but it too has its nay-sayers like anything else on the web. I read about the home depot option on line elsewhere and they also had good long term success. So figured I'd give it a go rather than pay for the tool and o-rings ($115.00 proposition) just might pay the price one day...time will tell. Could make it a winter project perhaps hmmmmm . Be well :)

Hey ski, you are correct about that o-ring. Was too impatient to wait for a mail order to arrive... needed... well... truthfully, I had been out of town for quite awhile and was itching for a ride on the ole' scooter. When the time comes again in the future l will go the viton route most likely. But working like a champ thus far. I watched a video on the high dollar fuel QD o ring tool, seems straight forward but it too has its nay-sayers like anything else on the web. I read about the home depot option on line elsewhere and they also had good long term success. So figured I'd give it a go rather than pay for the tool and o-rings ($115.00 proposition) just might pay the price one day...time will tell. Could make it a winter project perhaps hmmmmm . Be well :)

I ordered the rebuild kit...just the guts for the check valve...not the tool. Now trying to put those orings up in the valve with it still being attached to the tank with a mirror and a light.....AIN'T NO WAY!!!!! Luckily my tank is empty and I can pull the valve out and look right down into it, but still gotta work like a brain surgeon to put the parts in, and that's with two pairs of reading glasses.
Ride safe!

Google search "replace harley fuel tank 0-rings. It will give you several links and videos. Just maybe, there will be one with tricks for replacing them without the special tools. Share if you find something good.

Google search "replace harley fuel tank 0-rings. It will give you several links and videos. Just maybe, there will be one with tricks for replacing them without the special tools. Share if you find something good.
The only thing I came up with all the searches was>>>>someone to hold the light...some type of dental tool pick...and a quarter inch 9/32 socket(I think) to push the upper o ring in...eyesight like an eagle...and...patience.

Corrected quote to show members response. - SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...Miss Piggy has a heartbeat again. Runnin good.
Another huge thank you to all you gents on this forum, you've always been a great help!!!!!!!!!!

Back