free website stats program O- Ring on Trans. drainplug ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

O- Ring on Trans. drainplug ?

Anybody know the size of the o-ring on the tranny drainplug on a 04 Electra Glide with a 5 speed... I fixing to go to town don't have time to hunt it up.. thought someone might know off the top of there head thanks....

I just re-use the old one over and over. Instead, I seal the thread with Teflon tape. Have been doing it this way on motor vehicles for 40 years. Never leak. Always keep the tape away from the end of the plug by a thread or two so there's no chance the tape could get into the reservoir, particularly on engines. And be sure you wind it in the right direction so the tightening doesn't unwind the tape.
T

OK, but you wont like it, just be careful they dont cut or loosen up, I have seen this and repaired stripped plugs for friends who went this route:s I work in Automotive shop and have seen and used these assortments often, I check them with a micrometer to be exact, cant take chances with the paying customers and it makes me look bad and I dont need any help there

Jack is of course spot on, and the good news, a digital electronic micrometer (METAL one) can be had at Harbor Freight now on sale for $9.99 last time I checked (was $19.99) and with free bright LED flashlight and 20% coupon would be even less.:s

Don't know the size but what I did was purchase 1 from the stealer at their ridiculous price and then took it to the local auto supply store and bought a dozen quality O rings for the same price as the 1 , using it as a size guide.

9/16 od by 7/16 id by 1/16:D

Followed your advice and bought one from the dealer at $1.09. Took it to NAPA and bought a bag of 10 for $5.30, or 53¢ each.

NAPA part number 727-2013, size is 7/16 x 9/16 x 1/16.

Appreciate your assistance.

Silver

Are the measurements not outside diameter 9/16" and inside diameter 7/16" and the thickness 1/8"
kemo

At the risk of sounding silly, isn't 9/16 minus 7/16 2/16? or 1/8 if my 3rd grade fraction conversion is still good...

The arithmetic is correct.
The logic is there are 2 thicknesses, left side and right side, (top and bottom) giving each thickness half the 1/8.

Left side thickness (1/16) + ID (7/16) + Right side thickness (1/16) = overall OD (9/16)

WOW... ya'll lost me with all that math stuff.. I was smoking weed in school when they went over that stuff... All I need to know about stuff like that is a 12 pack is " 1/2 " a case of beer and a 6 pack is " 1/4" a case of beer, and there are 4 " 1/4" oz in a bag........don't get me started on the metric system.... Oh yea drainplugs.. It leaks or it don't....:bigsmiley30:

Back