O- Ring on Trans. drainplug ?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by lakeforktx, Jan 9, 2011.

1. lakeforktx

lakeforktx Active Member

Anybody know the size of the o-ring on the tranny drainplug on a 04 Electra Glide with a 5 speed... I fixing to go to town don't have time to hunt it up.. thought someone might know off the top of there head thanks....

2. dbinbc

dbinbc Active Member

Don't know the size but what I did was purchase 1 from the stealer at their ridiculous price and then took it to the local auto supply store and bought a dozen quality O rings for the same price as the 1 , using it as a size guide.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

9/16 od by 7/16 id by 1/16:D

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

O-ring assortments can be had at your local auto parts store like O'Rieley's, Advanced Auto and others or Harbor Freight...all open EVEN on Sunday!

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I bought 1/2 dozen on eBay for $2.50, free shipping and he throws in an extra one. He also has the clips for the brake and clutch lever pins, 4 for $2.50 free shipping.
    kemo

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. lakeforktx

lakeforktx Active Member

Thanks guys I went to the auto parts store and bought a whole kit with all differnt size o-rings in it for about 6 bucks ... I sure they will come in handy.. 2 days ago we had 67* and nice, we were riding with only long sleeve shirts on and today we got 6" of snow .. who would have thought it ... thought it would be a good day to go down to the shop and do some maintance on the Electra Glide .... Thanks again guys......:D

7. Jack Klarich

Be careful you use the correct thickness, the assortment packs are great they tend to be on the thick side. If more than 1/16th thick they will split and or not tighten enough to seal, ask me how I know this, Capital Jack

8. lakeforktx

lakeforktx Active Member

Ok Jack how you know.... I did notice that the new ones seem to be maybe a little thicker...????? Tell me more my friend....

9. Jack Klarich

OK, but you wont like it, just be careful they dont cut or loosen up, I have seen this and repaired stripped plugs for friends who went this route:s I work in Automotive shop and have seen and used these assortments often, I check them with a micrometer to be exact, cant take chances with the paying customers and it makes me look bad and I dont need any help there

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. lakeforktx

lakeforktx Active Member

10-4 Jack ...I hope I don't have any trouble with it ... I will get any future ones from the over priced motor company or the = to... I just wanted to get the + P Harley out of my tranny .. Not shifting good and having a hard time finding neautral...with the snow and all nothing else to do......:D