free website stats program O-ring leak | Harley Davidson Forums

O-ring leak

6speed

I had a 95" done to my TC88,runs great,however, it looks like a leak at the cylinder base.My first thoughts were assembly oil or sealer,the tech cleaned it up said "ride it".This is a very minor stain on the cases just under the barrels.The tech said they will take it apart and take care of it,no problem.Any thoughts on the cause of the stain? I'm not worried cause they will take care of it.All the other seals and gaskets are good and the bike was put back together perfectly.Just strange that everything else is great except for this seal.

Sounds like the o-ring around the cylinder spigot is not seated well, or the o-ring around the cylinder dowel for the oil supply may be pinched. Is it still leaking or maybe from the assy lube?? A hot pressure wash should take the stain off and let you see if it is still seeping. Trick is to get the engine good and hot and check it out. (Get the oil up to temp to reduce the viscosity to see where it's gonna seep from.) You have to be really careful when putting the jugs back on the engine to make sure you get those 4 o-rings seated good w/o pinching them and sometimes when you torque the heads down you can pinch them if not torqued evenly. Hope they can keep you on the road and take care of you.

The dealership picked up my bike today,my drive is iced up,I went up there and told them of the leak and they sent a box-van right behind me to get the bike.They seem very concerned,much more than me.I will hopefully be able to put some miles on it this winter,sometimes we get lucky and get a few nice days.

There are a couple of options (as mentioned earlier) for an oil leak at the base after getting the new jugs put on. The great thing is the dealer wants to resolve it. Sounds like you are wokring with some good folks.

Back