free website stats program o ring chain | Harley Davidson Forums

o ring chain

They will out last a conventional chain they hold the lube in better and longer

I've run o-ring chains on my shovels for years. They hold lube longer. adjust less, and last longer.

On my 74 XLCH, I always thought that I had a chain oiler, and that it was just adjusted to a point where it was sending too much out. To my surprise however, it turns out that it was just leaking oil from so many different places up front, that it appeared that I had a chain oiler. Long story short, after a bunch of new gaskets and seals, no more oil leaks, and a new o-ring chain.

:newsmile091:

The single advantage of a chain over belt is strength for given width. The use of O-ring chain is lower maintenance NOT maintenance ignore...! You still have to keep it clean and "lightly" lubed, but not use the "sticky" chain lubes that attract and retain dirt. MOCO really did a good thing by going to low maintenance belt drive. If you need more strength (for high horsepower applications) you can go to a wider belt and pully setup to continue the advantage.

When I bought my o-ring I think it said lifetime on there some where, which brought out the cynical snort, but it is one of the best things I ever put on. I think back then it was $45 compared to a $17 or $18 standard chain. Over 20 years on there but 10 were in storage and I only adjust it when I need tires. Compare that to making an adjustment at least 3 times a summer.

Back