free website stats program Nuts And Bolts Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Nuts And Bolts Question

diljera

Hi,

OK, for those who don't particularly like the whitty banter here and only want to see nut and bolts question here is one for you. I have a 2006 XL883 that I bought in July. At one time, before the first 1,000 mile service, I had a couple of occasions where I found
a small spot of oil under the bike. At the service I asked the dealer (this service was free from the dealer I bought it from) to check for the leak and they said they couldn't find anything.

Diljera

There is now 3200 miles on it and a few days ago I did an oil change myself and put in full synthetic. When I put in the oil I used the reccomended amount and after I warmed the bike up the level measured just a hair or two below the full (upper) mark. Today I noticed that a little bit of oil on the exaust pipes and on the right side of the engine. After a bit of investigating I found that the air filter is soaked with oil on the bottom- heaviest in the front and getting lighter toward the back. The underside of the cover had a good bit of oil on it. I have heard of oil blow-by and assume this is what I have. Would it be rings, or do I have too much oil in it? Should I take it to the dealer? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Solanki

I recently had my 1K service done on my 1200 xl . my book says the bike takes 3.6 quarts of oil but the dealer only used 3 qts. that put right up to the correct level on the dipstick. sounds like you are over full on your oil level.

I was told that the best thing to do is to fill to the lower full mark as it will keep your filter clean. I suppose that you are overfull and that you will need to do some serious clean up before you replace your filter.

I find the dipstick on the Sporty a little awkward to use. Does it makes any difference if you just push the stick in or if you actually screw it close?

My question is, after you have popped it out and you want to check the oil, do you screw it all the way back or do you just push it as far as it goes without bothering to push the chromed head back in tight?

Back