free website stats program Nuetral problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Nuetral problem

I have an 04 Sportster 1100 Custom. When the bike heats up it gets stuck in neutral when going from 1 st to 2nd. I have to lightly touch the clutch and shift again to get it to go into neutral. Could this be the linkage on the shifter being loose? Any help would be appreciated. It's making me nuts

It cloud be loose shifter linkage, poor clutch adjustment and primary chain adjustment any one of which could cause it.

What would be the easiest thing to check 1st? I would guess it would be the linkage adjustment. If I only knew how to do that. I'm new to wrenching. I've been a metric guy for years. I have to say the metrics are very low maintenace but the ride on the Harley , well, I'm hooked on the Harley. Much better handling and ride. If you can help me I would approeciate it. I want to ride this bike all day but I'm I am alittle fearful of it happening getting on to the interstate

---------- jimmybruno edit/added post 0 minutes and 43 seconds later ----------

It cloud be loose shifter linkage, poor clutch adjustment and primary chain adjustment any one of which could cause it.
What would be the easiest thing to check 1st? I would guess it would be the linkage adjustment. If I only knew how to do that. I'm new to wrenching. I've been a metric guy for years. I have to say the metrics are very low maintenace but the ride on the Harley , well, I'm hooked on the Harley. Much better handling and ride. If you can help me I would approeciate it. I want to ride this bike all day but I'm I am alittle fearful of it happening getting on to the interstate

Last edited:
Many tips in the self help forum to help out.

Sorry for being so ignorant but I don't see anyway to make the linkage tighter

Sometimes the linkage adjustments are kind of tricky. I have MAPAM (it's Italian aftermarket company) forward controls that have a threaded collar the tightens against the foot control lever, taking up any "slack" w/2.5 mm allen screw to lock collar in place.

On yours, there are probably length adjustments and you may have to add a thin washer to compensate for wear in the linkage partss. This is kind of free form troubleshooting because many of HDT owner's rides are usually heavily modified. :)

Sorry, can't be much help without knowing more specifics. :(

Back