free website stats program NTOSKRNL-HOOK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

NTOSKRNL-HOOK

I recently went through this on my kids' computer. One of them visited an infected game site and it loaded an ad ware virus on their computer. The virus was self-replicating and would hide itself deep in the C drive. I also found it was impervious to my antivirus software (Norton and Spybot).

When my kids got tired of pop-ups and being redirected to ad sites, I backed up their personal files and reformatted the hard drive and reloaded windows.

A reinstall of the operating system is a pain, but it may be the only way to truly rid yourself of the virus.

Good luck.

Try to download & run malwarebytes. Google it, I think it's malwarebytes.org, not sure.

I've been lucky with that on hard to remove stuff before.

There is another option without having to rebuild the pc OS. Search out Panda Antivirus pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/evaluation/ and download the panda antivirus pro 2009... One of the best A.V.s out there... Norton / Symantec A.V. couldnt catch a cold...unless it was a bloodhound heuristic variant...its a free 30 day eval..

Give pandasecurity a try before reloading the os on the pc. if you google it they have a panda antivirus pro 2009 that you can d/l the eval ... It is one of the best av pgms out there for windows.. free for 30days... I would not recomend Norton / Symantec as i find it couldnt detect a cold...

Well after a few days of researching the problem using a combination of the above advice given by your good selves we eventually got the virus. We were leaving the format and reboot as the final option as this involved a lot of work. The technique that got the virus is as follows:
(1) Run Malwarebytes - it found more than one virus but not the main virus that hides them.
(2) Run Rootrepeal - it does a deep search in the root directory and it finds the hidden, protector file. DO NOT DELETE at this stage.
(3) Update Malwarebytes but do not run it.
(4) Run Rootrepeal again to re-find the hidden file and now wipe it.
(5) Shut down the computer then restart and run Malwarebytes again - it now finds the same virus it found earlier and now removes them as the hidden, protector file has been wiped.

It was a really fustrating virus, as mentioned earlier a lot of scans that we ran either did not find it, or if they found it they reported that it was taken care of but in fact it was still there. Not only was the virus preventing them from doing their job, it also hindered any searches on the web for advice on how to get rid of it and we had to do a lot of the research on someone elses computer. The basic known effects of the virus were to hi-jack your browser and prevent defragmenting. What else it was doing, who knows!
Thanks for all your input, it really did help. I'm not very good with computers, I basically have a love/hate relationship with them, that is I love to hate them:D:D

My sons computer got infected and he always charges his blackberry with his computer,passed the virus on to the blackberry.We hooked the blackberry to my computer and scanned it (f drive) pulled a total of 17 viruses including 2 trojans,so check your blackberry if you charge it with your computer or use it online.

I have the new Rogers anti-virus suite and Norton, I run one and then the other,they are compatable on the computer. Unlike other anti-virus they don't try to take each other out

I use StopZilla anti spyware and AVG anti-virus with identity protection here at home and on the network at work, and virtually eliminated viruses from the network and on the Exchange server. Sounds to me that this virus has gotten deep into the operating system, thus damaging it. I would back up your documents and your pics, and do a wipe and a reload to assure that the operating system is pristine, Then I would install Stopzilla and AVG to continue the protection. You will thank me later, trust me. Stopzilla is around $15 a yr and AVG with identity protection was $79 for two years.

Back