free website stats program Not understanding lever install | Harley Davidson Forums

Not understanding lever install

Im replacing the levers on my NT, but I dont understand why you need to put the washer or cardboard in between the lever and the housing. When you remove the lever, its going to come off ???
Any tips on installing these without scratching them up ?

That is so you don't dammage the brake light switch.
Cut the cardboard a little wider than the slot so it stays in there.
I suggest buying the repair manual it explains everything and it is worth every penny.
Dave

I have the manual. I just dont understand how it works because once you remove the the lever the cardboard falls out. Im gonna try to do what your saying of doing it bigger so it stays in place. As for the manual, they are good but they dont always get into details.

An easier way I found is to hold the brake lever in the applied position while you slip the pivot bolt into place.:D

Be very carefull the tab on the switch is VERY easy to break ( I know this from experience) if you put it in like Glider says you shouldn't have any problem but if it doesn't want to go don't force it .Take it out and try again.

Why you need to use the spacer. Hopefully this makes sense. When the brake lever is at rest, it holds the brake light switch in. When you pull the brake, the switch pushes out and the brake light comes on. When you have the assembly apart the switch actuator is out. If you don't have the spacer or at least pull the handle back when reassembling, the lever will break the actuator off and you will have constant brake lights.

I'm not at my bike, so I can't confirm but I believe if you use a flash light and look between the lever and the throttle body while applying and releasing the brake lever you will be able to see how the switch works. As stated previously, the switch actuator is very easy to break, speaking from experience here, so be careful.
:USA

Back