free website stats program Not sure what's killing the battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not sure what's killing the battery

Bike starts fine (except for the jamming sometimes)but after driving about 15 miles it won't start.

"it won't start" is not alot to work with. It won't start as in "it won't crank"? At this point we still don't know if it's a charging/battery issue,, a starter issue or it's cranking but you don't have any spark.

What exactly happens after the 15 mile ride and it won't start.. Does the starter solenoid hit? Can you hear the pinion gear engage with the ring gear? Do the lights dim low when you try to crank it? Does it crank forever without any fire to the plugs?

Battery likely, if deeply discharged a couple times...stator possible, once the varnish insulation starts breaking down, carbonizing/leakage currents will sap the charge voltage and if moving parts contacting/arcing intermittantly on the ferrite magnets...! If so, change the regulator as a precaution, it is cheap and could have been damaged also...you are fighting "latent defects"...especially if you find evidence of shorting/overheating when you inspect the old parts! :s

I was able yesterday to get it to my buddies Harley shop and he tested everything. He had the right meter with all the plugs that I didn't have. As you might have noticed I am stubborn and try to do eveything myself. I'm always tight with my money but I'm figure'n out sometimes it's best to pay someone else that knows more than I do.lol. Stator was putting out but not enough. Battery done.
Thanks, from my stubborn self!

I was able yesterday to get it to my buddies Harley shop and he tested everything. He had the right meter with all the plugs that I didn't have. As you might have noticed I am stubborn and try to do eveything myself. I'm always tight with my money but I'm figure'n out sometimes it's best to pay someone else that knows more than I do.lol. Stator was putting out but not enough. Battery done.
Thanks, from my stubborn self!

At least you stuck with it and now have the answers you need:s

I was told if your gonna ride...learn to work on it. So I built it about 2 years ago. I've learned alot but I don't think I would build another. And learning as you go can get expensive. But I made it through. Still paid less than a new bike and almost everything is new.

I was told if your gonna ride...learn to work on it. So I built it about 2 years ago. I've learned alot but I don't think I would build another. And learning as you go can get expensive. But I made it through. Still paid less than a new bike and almost everything is new.

Okay Bbbarbee...ya whetted our appetite!...now with 18 posts under your belt and still no pix of your custom bike...you really have perked curiosity here on the forum. Sure would like to see it!!!! :D

Here she is. Got some repainting to do this winter but it's o.k. Still haven't found the emblems I want yet.
100_1671 - Copy.JPG

100_1668 - Copy.JPG

100_1669.jpg

Back