free website stats program Not sure what is wrong with my 1999 Softail Custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Not sure what is wrong with my 1999 Softail Custom

shoopy

So my bike sat in a cold garage all winter, and when i parked it I knew I would need a new battery.

At the beggining of this spring i tried starting it and the starter made a whining noise, I replaced the plugs and bought a high performance battery (370 cold crank amps) which allowed the bike to start and minimized the whining noise.

I am wondering if this whining noise is due to the starter clutch? Or possibly something I am unaware of.

Also after the bike is started, it tends to die after idling after a few minutes. I am thinking this is because the bike needs to be re-jetted (as I put vance and Hines Short Shots on it at the end of last season without re-jetting).

Any advice would be helpful as I am not mechanically inclined!

Thanks

Shoopy

When the bike dies after idling for a wee while have you pushed in the choke or is it still out
you may need to half choke it after a wee while however depending on the weather and moisture content in the air the carb could ice up and be killing the engine

Brian

Sounds like a bad starter drive and maybe bad gas from sitting

I have done nothing with my carb, it is stock. So i know it needs re-jetted, could that be a possible cause for it dying? My uncle said the jet may be falling out of it (same thing happened to his 1999 Custom softail).

And thanks for the advice!

Back