free website stats program Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right

Anything at or around 250* and higher is very hot. Have you checked the oil level? It really shouldn't be running that hot, I would suggest checking things over and don't rule out a defective oil temp unit either. Possibly an oil cooler may be in your future.

Anything at or around 250* and higher is very hot. Have you checked the oil level? It really shouldn't be running that hot, I would suggest checking things over and don't rule out a defective oil temp unit either. Possibly an oil cooler may be in your future.

His temps do seem unusually high so Glider's probably spot on , as always, with his two possibilities. My gauge has finally been working perfect for two months now and under all sorts of air temp and riding conditions, I've never seen more than 230 degrees.

I know that the fluid levels are "spot on".
I also agree with Glider's assessment.

I called McEwan (sp.?) who makes/sells the product-760-242-0208.
Told him my story as well as the point that I went out and used a candy thermometer (metal probe, not glass) and an NIST traceble thermometer and pulled over and compared the gauge reading with the two thermometer readings.

300*F on the gauge was 227*F on the other two thermometers. (This was after sitting in traffic and I was getting pretty warm...).

The gentleman at McEwan was great to talk to and we walked through the install and he had no issues any of the installation. His first guess was that it was a bad sending unit. He got my information and is sending one out directly. But he said, "Let's start there and if that works, great. If not, we will keep at it until your gauge is working correctly."

That is great customer service in my book.

He also question what model HD I had. He indicated that he is getting reports that the 2009 models, in the summer (80*++ temps) are running in the 270*F range, but that my 07 should be running in the 230's at highway speeds.

We will see when I get the new sender in the mail. It did make me feel better to use the other thermometers to check the temps. I am going to monitor the trans temp as well, just because I am a geek.

I know that getting something "new" but defective isn't all that rare but, then my mind started wandering....what if I have a scoot that is defective and runs really hot...

Thanks gents! I appreciate the feed back!

On my '99 Ultra, I have the same oil temperature gauge as you do McEwan). During "normal" riding (backroads, some highway) with air temps about 75 my gauge reads about 200. I also use synthetic motor oil, and did the roller chain upgrade which included the higher volume oil pump running in the later models. I have a TFI and big sucker A/C and a set of V&H slip ons. The only other thing I have is a HD oil cooler. It begins to open abut 185 degrees and is completely open at about 230 (thermostatically operated). With the possibility of a bad sender, you might want to change that out before investing in the oil cooler, although it (oil cooler) was probably one of my better investments. Good luck.

Update:
I received a new temperature sending unit in the mail on Saturday and intalled it and that seems to be a fix to my problem. I rode for an hour or so on three seperated outings to let the temperature cool down to cycle the unit several times.
After the bike is warmed up completely, the needle on the gauge sits at 230*F. If I measure the oil temp fromt he filler cap using a thermometer I have verified as accurate, the oil tem is 10-12 degrees cooler than what the gauge on the fairing indicates. I don't know if this means that the gauge is simply off a little, the oil is hotter flowing past the sending unit or any other combination of variables.
As for trending the oil temp to ensure that I am not cooking the oil and engine, I think I am in business. If the unit reads a little high, and that is resonably linear, then that would be an added "margin of safety" if I base my decisions on the gauge read out.

I would do business with McEwan as his information on the phone was helpful and friendly. Prompt service in sending a replacement part required only conversation. To me, this the way business should be conducted.

Glad you got it straightened out.

It's not uncommon to register different temps in different areas when checking them with a thermometer. If you were to measure the oil temps in the area of the head, they would be even higher too.

230* is acceptable for oil temps.

McEwan Did same for me he sent out a new kit and said don't worry about rushing the old kit back to him. I also Have the HD temp gauge and it reads around 260-280deg with M1V2 in the bike. I was worried so I sent out an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for testing everything was good incuding the TBN

Here is what they said about my hot oil

This initial sample from your Harley looks good. All wear read well below averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts and careful operation. The universal averages show normal wear after ~3,500 miles oil use. Insolubles at low at 0.2%, so the high oil temperatures you mentioned aren't hurting a thing. Insolubles are mostly oil oxidation due to heat and use.No fuel or moisture found. The TBN was still strong at 5.4, so the oil had plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is too low. Add ~2,000 miles to this oil & check back for another look.

I guess the temp was not a big deal after all

Back