free website stats program Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right

On all of the 96ci engines, where you need to add the adapter to the oil filter housing when installing an oil cooler, the factory mounting point for a temperatrure gauge is into that adapter plate.
It was found to be easier and more convienent to mount it in the pan.
I would say that docs problem is a ground problem. Most likely at the sender.

Dr. D,

Did you add an oil cooler to the bike? If so, is there a thermostat in the adapter?

TQ

On all of the 96ci engines, where you need to add the adapter to the oil filter housing when installing an oil cooler, the factory mounting point for a temperatrure gauge is into that adapter plate.
It was found to be easier and more convienent to mount it in the pan.
I would say that docs problem is a ground problem. Most likely at the sender.

Like I said earlier, I was overwhelmed when I read through the instructions so I had my indy mechanic install this gauge, therefore, he still has the instruction sheet. I'm fairly certain it said that '07 and later models required the adapter plate at the oil filter, even if an oil cooler was not installed. I'll call him later today and confirm.

Dr. D,

Did you add an oil cooler to the bike? If so, is there a thermostat in the adapter?

TQ

No oil cooler on the bike. Thermostat should be in the cooler, if installed, right? Or is there actually a thermostat built into the adapter? Man, I'm getting confused now!

No oil cooler on the bike. Thermostat should be in the cooler, if installed, right? Or is there actually a thermostat built into the adapter? Man, I'm getting confused now!
Did you/he add an adapter between the oil filter and the base mount where the filter screws on to or is the filter screwed directly on to the filter mount that came on the bike? The thermostat is in that section that is added between the filter and the base mount.

Does it look like this?

4600frontbacklarge.jpg

At Glider's request, here are the photos. I'd only go out in a cold garage in slippers and shorts for you guys!

100_0690.jpg

100_0691.jpg

100_0692.jpg

Did you/he add an adapter between the oil filter and the base mount where the filter screws on to?

Yes, that's where the adapter goes.

We're talking an adapter or a sending unit here?

Look at my last post, that's an adapter that has a thermostat in it.

I see the last pic you posted. Who makes that unit? No cooler you said so there shouldn't be a thermostat in the unit. You would be better off going directly to the oil pan and adapting it to that for better performance and accuracy and do away with the adapter that your pic shows IMO.

We're talking an adapter or a sending unit here?

Look at my last post, that's an adapter that has a thermostat in it.

I see the last pic you posted. Who makes that unit? No cooler you said so there shouldn't be a thermostat in the unit. You would be better off going directly to the oil pan and adapting it to that for better performance and accuracy and do away with the adapter that your pic shows IMO.

It's the adapter kit sold by HD and required for '08 FLHX's according to the instructions and the label on the box. I'm going to have to contact a dealer and ask some questions about whether this thing has a thermostat incorporated into it for some reason. I'm not sure if my year/model bike even has the option of mounting at the oil pan - I figured that was why the adapter was a required purchase.

It's the adapter kit sold by HD and required for '08 FLHX's according to the instructions and the label on the box. I'm going to have to contact a dealer and ask some questions about whether this thing has a thermostat incorporated into it for some reason. I'm not sure if my year/model bike even has the option of mounting at the oil pan - I figured that was why the adapter was a required purchase.

Let us know what you find out. I'm sure there is probably the extra plug in the oil pan next to the drain unless like you said, they did away with it. Take a peek under there to see. You have me very curious now why they would make something like that mounted next to the filter instead of plumbing it into the pan directly.:newsmile093:

Back