free website stats program Not So Lucky | Harley Davidson Forums

Not So Lucky

09ultra

Banned
If you remember a bit back, I had trouble with my 09 Ultra. I changed out gas and thoght I had the problem resloved. Well I was not so lucky. I only had a chance to ride it a few miles after the gas change, which I thought was plenty to diagnose since it was acting up all the time prior to the gas change. Took it out yesterday and it was doing the same thing again. Popping and backfiring on take off and hesistation on the crack of the throttle. I call George at TFI with Techlusion and we determined quickly it was not the TFI. ( By disabling the unit) So I removed the TFI completely and brought it to the HD dealer ship. They now call me and say the possible reason for the bad performance is because I have a SE air cleaner and slip on pipes with no HD download. At this point I did tell them I have a fuel management system I removed to trouble shoot and be sure it was not the cause. He said I may need to buy the HD download so they can work on it. I bought the TFI so I would not have to buy the canned download from HD. GLIDER: Can they not fix this bike the way it is? I told them I would put the TFI back on if needed but he said he wouold check with his tech first. Have not heard back yet. What a drag. The bike is back to idling between 700 and 1400 RPM. Same thing it did when it was brand new. They at that trime replaced the fuel pressure regulator and when that did not fix it they replaced a cracked fuel shell? It ran perfect after that and also ran perfect the last 600 miles with the TFI.:small3d023:

They can diagnose a problem without a download. They are looking for some $$$ as usual from you.
Depending on the dealer you talk to, some say you can run the intake and exhaust without any additional fuel and the adaptive fuel will handle it. I really don't thing there are many dealers that know what's going on with these bikes.
They should recheck what they worked on the last time if it ran OK up until now. New parts don't mean that they aren't defective parts.
Possibly a fuel pressure test may show something.

Glider:
Here is a big surprise. They just called and said the bike is fixed. They told me the spark plug wires were not crimped??? I am glad it is fixed (supposably) but I am a little cautious as it was doing the EXACT same thing as it did before. The tech said when they lifted it up on the hoist, both he and the service manager heard an arching sound. Upon investigating the found the plug wires were either never crimped or very poorly crimped. After they replaced (or re-crimped) they said the arching noise disappeared and the bike runs fine. They siad they let it cool completely down and then checked it again and still runs fine. Maybe this was the original issue? Sures seems funny it would be an identcal symptom with a different cause. I hope this is not going to be one of those friday afternoon bikes. What do you think?

What I think is this....:55:

I think they are covering up for their stupidity the first time around.:s

What IF they did the download???

What they say is completely possible but why didn't they find that the first time around?

Kind of what I thought. At first they insist on HD download, 2 hrs later it is fixed with no questions or concerns. Seems too simple. Especially with the exact same symptoms. Smells fishy but if they indeed fixed it right, I guess I will be happy. Maybe they forgot to secure a vacuum line or something. I can't understand why it ran for a few weeks after the first fix. No matter what, I sure wish I knew what the real problem was or is.

I will do that. Let me tell you, it is a fact it is a safety hazard. I went to pull out onto a busy intersection and all of a sudden it unexpectedly hesitstes and dies. There I was like a sitting duck. Luckily the 4x4 pickup recognized my problem and stopped while I got my butt out of the way. If it happens again, I will get HD involved and tell just what you said. This is a documented problem since it was brand new.

Well I got another call from the dealership. Apparantly they did not know I already received a call yesterday. Yesterday they told me the plug wires were not crimped, today they told me they were not seated on the plug. The good news is the bike ran strong, so whatever was wrong they fixed it. (Hopefully) The dealership really was good to work with. Quick and very nice. Just a little suspicious as to what was really wrong. Now I have to reinstall my TFI. Hopefully this is the end of it. Anyway no complaints on getting it in and taken care of.

Back