free website stats program Not Happy with Rinehart TD's | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Happy with Rinehart TD's

The SE baffles work pretty much the same as the rineharts (I have Rineharts on my road king). If you pull a baffle out of a SE and look at it it looka a lot loike the Rinehart except about 1/2 of the way back it looks like someone took a hacksaw and cut halfway through the baffle. Then took a hammer and bent the baffle wall down covering about half of the opening so the bent part will redirect the exhaust to flow around the outside of the baffle instead of through.

Here I found this picture of a SEII baffle to show you what I am talking about. I don't know if I would want to try this or not.

Attachments

• screamin_eagle.jpg
    screamin_eagle.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for the pic of the SE baffle. The SE seems to provide some redirection or interruption of exhaust gas that would . The Rinehart baffles are basically little more than a 2 inch pipe with some holes punched in the sides. Now I'm no rocket surgeon, and certainly not a baffle accoustics expert, but the basic concept of "path of least resistance" leads me to believe that the majority of exhaust and sound is passing straight through a 2 inch open pipe. Just too loud for me when I get on it. I also think it's a slight oversight for Rinehart to not make a quieter baffle that actually DOES make a noticeable difference. I don't mean this to come accross as a complaint. It's my personal problem and I'll deal with it. I just wanted to pass along my experience and opinion as well as to to hear other ideas from the rest of the world.

I agree with ya .My Rineharts sound good criusing through town or cruising on the highway but do get very loud climbing mountains (I live in central Pa) or under hard acceleration. Good luck Bro

Love my Rineharts. Love my Rineharts. Love my Rineharts. Love my Rineharts. Did I tell ya that I Love my Rineharts. Maybe I'm going deaf but IMAO I don't think that they are that loud. Had them on my 98 and can't wait till they come out with the full set for my 09. Best way to beat the heat. Will have a set of there slip-ons for sale as soon as they do.

nt6977 - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Had em on my evo, of course they weren't stepped. Tried lots of different slip ons that friends had to see which I wanted. Eventually my head pipes succumbed to the famous mounting bracket break and they replaced them under warranty. Happened again. Had their dresser dog slip ons and they were very raspy and other riders complained about the sound. Wasn't loud to me because I was ahead of the pipes. Went to V&H Duals with SE slip ons with the fish ends. Good low sound but will bark when punched. No Rheinharts in my future. Next slip ons will be V&H ovals too. Ride safe
Bubba

I am looking myself to replace the stock pipes with something else and was leaning toward the Rinehard slip-ons.

As obvious from the thread and various other, taste is in the mind of the beholder.

Does anybody know of a website that give you a good sound comparison ore even measurements of loudness at different rpm. I have watched a few of those YouTube homevideos, but they are so dinky you can't really tell anything. The best of the bad I saw was a side-by-side comparison between Rinehard and SE, but againt the quality was so poor you can't really judge the true sound.

Bernhard

In my opinion, your best bet is to take a weekend day and go to a dealer or a ralley to look listen and learn. Almost everyone is totally willing to show you their bikes, let you listen to the sound and give you some tips. As a follow up, since I initiated this thread, I have now wrapped my Rinehart TD, Quiet baffles with some fiberglass tape and stainless steel wire. The sound is now just about perfect for me. But to each his own. Telling someone what the best sound is would be like telling someone what's the best color. The bottom line for me is that the True Dual system, whichever you choose, has TOTALLY eliminated ALL the heat issues and the right side of the bike is beautiful and easy to clean and maintain. So now that I have the sound I like, I have everything I wanted in an exhaust system. The Arlen Ness A/C and the PC III are perfect compliments to my TD's. I bought everything from Eastern Performance and they pre-mapped the PCIII for my specific set-up. I guess I could Dyno it but don't really see the need. No decel pop. 42 MPG average and all the power and torque I'll ever need. The whole Stage 1, Rinehart TD's, AN Air Kit and PCIII was $1,150 delivered in three days, no tax.. The install was about 4 hours and 8 Corona's on a rainey day. Whatever you choose, learn as much as you can by asking, looking and listening. Learning by buying and experimenting can get expensive.

Ok so here is a question that should evoke lots of scoffing and laughter.

A couple of times when I have been changing slip ons I have started her up with no mufflers on at all; just the open ended header pipes.
I thought the sound was just great, and not that loud, at least at idle and revved a couple of times. I always thought I should take her around the block a few times just to see if the neighbors got upset, but I never did.

Anyone ever run this way, or thought about it?

Rod

Here's my 2 bits for what it's worth.
03 Ultra, stock 88" w/Stage 1 air cleaner and Rinehart TDs, PC3.

Ruuning north of Kansa City, developed a noise like my head gasket went south. Turned out it was a large hole and long crack in my rear header pipe. Commonplace according to the mechanic @ the HD dealership. No replacement parts available and welding the pipe back just didn't fit well as the support bracket was also part of the cuprit for failure. The dealer has an ElectraGlide sitting with V&H Ovals - sounded nice. They were in stock and the dealership also provided me with a set of stock header take offs. 2 hours later we're on the road to Colorado.

My thoughts are these - I liked the sound of the ovals over the Rineharts. Deeper tone. The TDs seemed somewhat high pitched around 3k rpm. Almost sounded like it was overreving. Performance seems the same, fuel mileage is similar. Dealership did not change the PC. There was some tinnyness to them, but it turned out to be a loose muffler clamp @ the pipe connection. A bit more heat @ the seat - but it's an Ultra. I am getting a replacement rear header pipe and revised bracket from BUB so I'll try them one more time (the ol' lady likes 'em). Bottom line is I like 'em and will probably stay w/ the Ovals.

Besides, the Lord provides. Thanx for the time. God bless.

Here's my 2 bits for what it's worth.
03 Ultra, stock 88" w/Stage 1 air cleaner and Rinehart TDs, PC3.

Ruuning north of Kansa City, developed a noise like my head gasket went south. Turned out it was a large hole and long crack in my rear header pipe. Commonplace according to the mechanic @ the HD dealership. No replacement parts available and welding the pipe back just didn't fit well as the support bracket was also part of the cuprit for failure. The dealer has an ElectraGlide sitting with V&H Ovals - sounded nice. They were in stock and the dealership also provided me with a set of stock header take offs. 2 hours later we're on the road to Colorado.

My thoughts are these - I liked the sound of the ovals over the Rineharts. Deeper tone. The TDs seemed somewhat high pitched around 3k rpm. Almost sounded like it was overreving. Performance seems the same, fuel mileage is similar. Dealership did not change the PC. There was some tinnyness to them, but it turned out to be a loose muffler clamp @ the pipe connection. A bit more heat @ the seat - but it's an Ultra. I am getting a replacement rear header pipe and revised bracket from BUB so I'll try them one more time (the ol' lady likes 'em). Bottom line is I like 'em and will probably stay w/ the Ovals.

Besides, the Lord provides. Thanx for the time. God bless.

Back