free website stats program Not Happy with Rinehart TD's | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Happy with Rinehart TD's

Scubadog

Banned
I have about a month and 1000 miles on my newly installed Rinehart TD's. Performance is fine and I really like the clean look of eliminating the right side cross-over pipe. I am also totally happy that the heat issue is solved. I'm just not satisfied with the sound. Idle is OK, and easy or downhill cruise is OK but the uphill climbs and "get on it" sound sounds raspy and just too loud for me. Now I know that sound is a personal thing, to each his own, so I'm not trying to start a debate on that. I just want to get some ideas from some of you experts on what my options are other than changing the whole system. Looking for a nice deep sound that is somewhere in between these and stock. By the way, I already tried the quiet baffles and the change was insignificant. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow sorry to hear you don't like the sound of the Rineharts. I myself love the sound they produce. I had a 98 Ultra and went through 4 different sets of pipes before finding the true duel Rineharts. I now have a 09 Ultra and had to settle for the slip-ons for now. Waiting for the full set to come out soon I hope.

nt6977 - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I don't have a suggestion as to what you could do, but I know Rineharts are generally quite loud.
I have a friend with an '08 Ultra (stock 96 inch) with Rineharts, and when he is leading I fall a long way back. It's either that or go deaf.
I also have another friend with an '06 Ultra with Harley slip-ons and turndown tips. His sounds just fine, but following him too close leaves you eating grit that blows up off the road.
He had his tips turned straight out at first, but that looked stupid. So we turned them down at 45 degrees, and now it throws up grit. Seems you just can't win.
I like to be leading.
Rod

Thanks for the responses. I guess my question for the guru's out there is this. Are there any options for replacing just the mufflers on my Rinhart TD system? Can I go with another slip-on without changing out the head pipes? Are there any other baffle options? Thanks..

I don't know if the V&H Monster Ovals will fit the RH TD head pipes, but the sound is mellow and not as loud. I would guess that if the pipe diameter is the same, then you would be OK...would just have to remap the PC III.

Thanks Sharky. So thats it? No-one else out there knows if other mufflers will work with the Rinehart TD head pipes?

The True Dual have a stepped header design and end with a larger diameter pipe then the stock setup. The true dual mufflers only work with the true dual head pipes.

The True Dual have a stepped header design and end with a larger diameter pipe then the stock setup. The true dual mufflers only work with the true dual head pipes.

Is that true of all brands, or just the Rhineharts?
I'm asking about V/H's in particular.

Well, sounds like I'm stuck with the Rinehart TD's unless I want to go with a complete new set-up. Oh well. You'd think Rinehart would figure out something for those of us that want the TD system and a mellower sound. The "Quiet" baffles are basically a joke and do little or nothing. The bottom line is that I have no one to blame but myself for not being CERTAIN on the sound I wanted and then buying into a system that has little or no other options.

Back