free website stats program not charging | Harley Davidson Forums

not charging

jay jayj

I have a 2001 fxdxt and its not charging i was wondering if theres a way to check the voltage regulator? I don't know if it's normal but after the bike runs for just a few minutes the regulator gets really hot.

Thanks for the information on how to test the regulator and stator. Going to try and perform these test in the morning. Have a ride going on sat. so i hope to have this problem figured out and fixed by then. Again thanks for the help my repair manuel for the bike doesn't tell you how to test these parts just how to change them

Good deal Jay, just don't push...you really want to trace and replace the root cause, and road test throughly before you take it out for the long haul...! Preparation is key, having all the consumables, brakeclean, dielectric grease; diagnostic tools, DMM, HD service manual and proper visual and measurements before and after repairs...you do not want to find out after you put everything back together, (charge battery overnight off the bike using a good battery charger), and 14V or so should be what you read when everything is back ready to run. The regulator should not be HOT...

In addition to the service manual the electrical diagnostics manual is a must have if doing electrical work. It describes how to test and trouble shoot charging system. Another sixty bucks but worth the price if you do your own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh... there's the actual answer. Thanks for posting that. That procedure from Glider is dead on... well written and crystal clear. Reading the other questions under the tip and their answers provided some new insight which would've been even more useful to me about a week ago. Had major issues with batteries/alternators/regulators in 2 different cages. Granted, not identical; however, close enough. Great info!

Back