free website stats program Not charging properly | Harley Davidson Forums

Not charging properly

MBHD93

Does a stator diminish in output or simply one day die like most electric things?

I started my bike today and noticed on my LED Battery Guage that at idle, it was not in the green area like normal. I revved it a little and it still stayed in the amber area. I restarted the bike....same thing. I gave it higher rpms and it went into the green. While riding on the highway I noticed it wasn't as far into the green as normal. When I got into town and had to stop at a light, it went into the amber again, but picked back up when I got up to speed.

If this is symptomatic of a stator going bad? I am at the bottom of this learning curve.

It starts fine and runs fine.

Does a stator diminish in output.

If this is symptomatic of a stator going bad?

Probably not. 1st thing I would do is cross check your LED light with a hi quality meter at the battery. I assume this is on a 1993 single phase system. Very good chance it is just a poor connection.

Cross check it at post what you find.

Check your stator plug on the primary case, they are known to come loose and not charge, they also will weep oil through the wires from the plug.

Probably not. 1st thing I would do is cross check your LED light with a hi quality meter at the battery. I assume this is on a 1993 single phase system. Very good chance it is just a poor connection.

Cross check it at post what you find.

10-4 on the double check with a 2nd meter, I also had some irratic operation with my LED volt monitor, but confirmed charging system was OK. I am at the present time replacing the (Kuryakn) with a 2" Auto style voltage gauge (Fabricating a bracket 1st). Also check all connections as mentioned by Glider. Good luck !

Thanks for the suggestions.

I removed the plug and cleaned the connections and started the bike. All was well again. Yippeee. So, I rode into town...30 miles one way. Stopped somewhere and when I left and started it up again, same problem for the rest of the day. I'm home now and will dig out the meter and also check all connections.

Also, yes it is on the '93, 60,000 miles. It too is a Kuryakyn meter.

Thanks for you help.

If by chance you find the system is not working properly, The self help section will provide the info you need to trouble shoot it yourself with minimal tools. The folks here are happy to help w/info if you get in a bind.... Side note: The stator is a coil of wire as a "general rule" it will burn in 2, or short to ground... sometimes it can short to itself & cause irratic problems. If it's burned...(Shorted), one easy way to tell that is to remove your Derby cover a take a smell of the oil. There will definately be a very burnt odor.

Just to keep things on the simple side might be a good idea to remove the battery cables from the bike check them over and clean and re seat them
clean both ends of the cables and their respective contact area

Brian

I would check all grounds in your charging circuit. When this happened with my Kuryakyn, the bolt for the regulator ground was not snug. I tightened it and all is well.

(BTW, the bolt passed a continutiy check because it was grounded. It just was not a quality connection.)

Just to keep things on the simple side might be a good idea to remove the battery cables from the bike check them over and clean and re seat them
clean both ends of the cables and their respective contact area

Brian

I second this. I have found a that if the ground from the battery starts to loosen up at either the terminal or where it grounds to the frame you may get a start but the battery will not charge properly.

Back