free website stats program Not Buying Extended Warranty | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Buying Extended Warranty

That's what I do. All maintainence is done by me. I have an average mechanical ability which I find to be enough. I have service manuals for my bike and Paula's Fatboy. I cant see taking our bikes to the dealer for a fluid change. To me that seems silly when it's as easy as it is. I'm sure I will end up taking it in for something some day but for now I'm happy with the decision I've made and hope luck is on my side. Thanks for chiming in Guys.

Does this thing qualify for the Lemon Law?

I think the LEMOn Law applies for NOT being fixed over a time or three...
Different in each state though..

I don't know IF the number of wrong things qualify but if Not fixed in reasonable time, that would SOUR things up a bit!

signed....BUBBIE

The factory warranty expires on my 08 Street Glide the end of the month. After 8000 miles of flawless service I have decided to roll the dice and pocket the cash I would have to spend on the extended warranty.

We'll see if I made the right decision but for now...I'm done agonizing over it.

If I end up spending the cost of the extended warranty on repairs, I bought the wrong bike.

i let mine go also and put cams in 2 days b4 the warranty expired.. ya pays ya money and takes ya chances if ya can do your own work its easier to not get the warranty

This is a quote that I posted April 3, 2010:

'08 Street Glide with 41,000 miles. Stage 1 with V/H Slip Ons. Not one problem with the engine but:

1. Triple tree and bushings replaced 18,000 miles
2. Starter clutch replaced 19,000 miles
3. 2 Stators replaced (around 20,000 and 38,000 miles)
4. Exhaust bracket tab breaks off and runs a groove down the belt. (Loudest screech imaginable) Belt replaced.
5. Main shaft bearing replaced 31,000 miles
6. Rear Master cylinder ABS sprung leak and replace 34,000 miles
7. Rear IDS Sprocket bearing replaced (could actually see bearings) 39,000 miles
8. Ambient Air Temp Gauge messing up. Sensor replaced and now waiting for the gauge to be replace. (on order)
9. Several instances of DTC Codes coming up with no throttle control blamed on corroded connectors at the TCA Module

All of the above done under warranty. My warranty was up April 1, 2010. Needless to say I opted for the extended 5 year warranty. :)

Wouldn't trade this bike or pleasure that it brings for anything. Just hope the next 40,000+ plus miles will be like the 1st 18,000.
Mz. Bling has 44,000+ on her '06 Sporty with no issues. Go figure.

Well, on May 27 with 44,000 miles my Main Shaft bearing was making all kinds of racket, so ordered a Baker DD7. With extended warranty, my indie co. installed the tranny, new clutch hub, primary and secondary cam chain tensioners with the chains. This was approved for $1007.00 from the Extended Warranty and the only cost was the tranny. Almost pays for itself and not event 2 months into the warranty. We'll see what the next 58 months will bring.

should try to figure out day yours was built friday night end of week or monday morning hangover

Last edited:
I just bought an 06 FLSTC from the dealer, with almost 18k miles on it. I bought the 2yr extended warranty, primarily because of the inevitable cam chain tensioner problem. The service mgr assured me that it would be covered, and if I wanted the hydrolic upgrade, I would only have to pay the difference in parts costs. That alone is worth eight hundred bucks or so.
Also, buying a used bike with no history, you don't know what could be waiting around the corner to bite you. It looks and sounds fine when you buy it, but.... It's those .... that made me decide to buy the warranty. As was noted above, better to have it and not need it than vicey-versey.

Bought 2008 Gold Wing,36000 miles,warranty issues nil. Reg. maintenence only.Wifes 2008 Sportster,12000 miles ,too long to list .Draw your own conclusions.

Bought 2008 Gold Wing,36000 miles,warranty issues nil. Reg. maintenence only.Wifes 2008 Sportster,12000 miles ,too long to list .Draw your own conclusions.

So do you have the extended warranty on that sporty or not? Or are you saying Honda doesn't offer an extended warranty??

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the extended warranty for my 1999 Silverado. Great ride except the ABS module went out at about 25,000 miles. Yep you guessed it, everything, but the module was covered. I couldn't buy a warranty for my new 2008 titanium knee.

I have an 07 Street Glide that I absolutely love. It currently has 28k on the odometer. I never condidered an extended warranty, when I bought it I knew it would not remain stock very long. I did the stage 1 with race tuner and SE slip ons before it came home. Within the first 5k I went to 103 cu with SE cams and did a slight amount of port work. At 26k I did the whole motor: S & S 106 big bore kit, SE 259E cam , SE Roller Rockers, SE cylinder studs, SE adjustable push rods, Feuling HP lifters, SE Cam support plate, and a set of SE 110 heads. I split the cases and sent the crank out and had the bearings upgraded and the pins welded. I decked the heads by .032" to get 89 cc chamber to for a final corrected compression of 8.44 to 1. I did all of this work myself and have been doing these type of things to all of the bikes ive ever owned. I enjoy picking up the wrench and doing all of the maintenance and upgrades myself. My bike has been in a HD dealership shop once because of a flat tire in Kalispell, Montana on a trip to Canada last year. I dont buy extended warranties on anything but I do feel that they are a good deal and if you dont have the time, desire, or inclination to work on your own bike they are not a gamble at all. My brother lives in Virginia and has an extended warranty on his SE Ultra and he says he couldnt sleep without it. By the way he was out to Visit me in Texas last month and we rode to San Antonio together...his Ultra couldnt keep up with me at all!

Just got the bike back from the dealer....right front fork started leaking. Dealer picked up the bike at my house, replaced both fork seals, cleaned up the oil from the bike, and presented me a bill for 0.00. The actual bill was $232.70, so subtacting that from the 1200 I paid for a 2yr warranty, I'm on the way to amortizing the cost of said warranty. As I said before, you never know with a used bike. For all I know, the previous owner did wheelies with it and weakened the seals. Whatever, it was fully covered and the dealer (Laidlaw's HD in Baldwin Park, CA) did a good job.

We've heard nothing but good about Laidlaw's. Glendale has treated us good and now the extended warranty has kicked in, our indie co. in the SF Valley will see most of the work. As stated before, my extended warranty on my '08 SG (45,000+) was up April 1 and so far the extended warranty was approved for $1007.00 for Clutch hub, cam chain tensionors and chains, and labor for main shaft bearing in the tranny. Paid $1500.00 for the extended 5 year warranty, so do the math. (that's just for the 1st 2 months of the warranty):s

Back