free website stats program Not 100% American? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not 100% American?

We need to become a producing country and not a consuming country once again

Showa forks and Keihin carb...having late model Japanese technology is not a bad thing...just different. If you ever had the opportunity to use Ohlins suspension and Mikuni carbs they are also pretty kit. If not for some of those "farmed out" parts, your HD would be thousands of dollars more and be a piece of "Unobtaninium" for the very rich or MOCO itself would have been a distant memory. Companies always balance the bottom line, and can only go so far with manufacturing in this country, sad as it is!

I was at Gentex yesterday in Zeeland MI. The make 92% of the worlds high end automotive mirrors. They manufacture all the componants in house including the circuit boards, which is unheard of these days. At least that part on an Acura and BMW will say "Made In America" on the back.

Showa forks and Keihin carb...having late model Japanese technology is not a bad thing...just different. If you ever had the opportunity to use Ohlins suspension and Mikuni carbs they are also pretty kit. If not for some of those "farmed out" parts, your HD would be thousands of dollars more and be a piece of "Unobtaninium" for the very rich or MOCO itself would have been a distant memory. Companies always balance the bottom line, and can only go so far with manufacturing in this country, sad as it is!

I was just making a point, but honestly I was also a little surprised. At any rate it did not keep me from buying two more new Harley's since. As big business and government has "farmed out", manufacturing....our middle class society is in a slide that I don't ever see coming back. This is a sad commentary on our nation. (I don't pose to be an expert and know the answer to every situtation)

With the CNC machines of today those parts can be made in the USA almost as cheap as they are in China. Machines do all the work but it's the tax's and the workmens comp and all the Governments mandates that drives the price up. Our government is the ones driving the jobs overseas NOT the MOCO.:bigsmiley15:

I was at Gentex yesterday in Zeeland MI. The make 92% of the worlds high end automotive mirrors. They manufacture all the componants in house including the circuit boards, which is unheard of these days. At least that part on an Acura and BMW will say "Made In America" on the back.

On the surface that looks like a small victory, then after consider
that only a few decades ago America was the biggest producing country in the world.

I shudder to think what would happen if another large conventional war broke out.
Would America be able to produce all the vehicles, amour, ships and other things
like she did last time ?
Is America able to provide for a 16 million man army like in WW2 ?

It is a serious blow to the economy, but it is also a serious blow
to the security of the planet.

It just makes me :(

My wife bought me harley leather riding jacket last Chrismas. Great jacket warm and prob the most comfortable jacket I have ridin in. Think she paid $350 for it but right under the tag in it that says American legand it says made in China :( . What a joke.

Back