free website stats program Not 100% American? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not 100% American?

We have to support aussies otherwise we wouldnt have foster beer or outback restraunts! I think you will have a very difficult time finding another product that has more parts made in the usa, the wheels on my egc say made in usa but I think the thunderstar wheels I put on my old heritage were made in canada.I have an old leather jacket made in usa best jacket ive ever had but unfortunately im not the same size I used to be.I just bought a new jacket very similar to my old one had it a week two zippers already broke,not made in usa but still a two hundred dollar jacket it should be better...

Its all related to a Global Economy?
Hows this, I just received a HD belt and buckle from the misses the other day as a gift. The belt has printed in the leather made in china, belt buckle made in Taiwan. The suggested retail was $75.00 plus tax, she paid $63.00 out the door. At Walmart a very fancy belt made in China is like $15.00. So is it a global economy or just corporate greed? The unfortunate part is until history repeats itself a truly American made product will probably not happen in my lifetime and I am only 50. Its just unfortunate how HD is such a supposed American icon. You think they would do better at hiding where products are manufactured or at least not labeling country of origin on product.

In today's world, the term "made in America" asctually means assembled or "branded" in America. Most of our everyday items that we use have some sort of foreign technology involved in it. This is not always a bad thing because some foreign countries have out-paced the U.S. in certain areas. Even though the bikes might not be 100% American made, they are being built better than ever and higher quality. I think the term "American Iron" is a frame of mind, and can be felt in the "heart and soul" of the Harley-Davidson owner/rider. I will always be pro-American without fail, but companies are finding ways to make good quality retail products at lower production costs. That just good old American ingenuity.

In today's world, the term "made in America" asctually means assembled or "branded" in America.

Yep. Lots of things are this way. Look at a pair of Levi's. The outside tag say's Made In America. The inside tag will say something else. The pair I have on right now say made in Bangladesh on the inside tag.

When was the last time you saw a camera, wristwatch, tv, stereo, computer, printer, or for that matter anything electronic, made (not assembled) in America?

Don't know if it still happens, but there were a number of products being made in Samoa that were branded Made in America, due to Samoa being an American protectorate.

Yep. Lots of things are this way. Look at a pair of Levi's. The outside tag say's Made In America. The inside tag will say something else. The pair I have on right now say made in Bangladesh on the inside tag.

Yeah I noticed that too, as all I wear are 501 Black button flys, Too bad I wont buy them any more, the last 3 pairs I have will have to last :s

I think HD is doing a pretty good job just keeping some of the major portions of the motorcycle made here. I am actually surprised it has lasted this long. I really believe that is due to customer loyalty and some of that is based in the the HD owner really wants an "American" product. It is part of the history and culture of HD riders.

I think it is more intersting that we feel we want "American Made" on things we think should be made in America (cars, blue jeans, HD etc), but a "Chinese" TV or VCR seems to make more sense.

No one complains about "all the coffee" we drink not being "made in America". If we tried to grow it here, no one could afford to drink it. Come to think of it, that is kind of the reason that the colonists switched to coffee from tea. Same thing for HD, whether it is the actual motorcycle, corporate profits, share holder profits etc. HD is a company and if they don't make $$$ they fold. The fact that they are still around says they are working within the very fluid environment of trying to please customers, share holders, employees and government regulations within a finite amount of $$.

If HD was completely made in the U.S. I bet it would cost $100K and you would probably only have 2 models to choose from. Those that have there own business know this, I think, but seriously: imagine you employed 4 of you.
Add your wage, + taxes, + benefits picked up by the company, if any. Then add the yearly mortage of your house and utility bills. You have to come up with that every year before anything has the chance of becoming a profit.

I am suprised that the corporate headquarters are still in the US.

the other day, i picked up a shirt with 'made in america' from my harley dealership. that was a surprise. anyway, i am a simple guy. i will only buy harley (it's an american icon, no matter if some parts are made outside of us)and get my bike serviced at my harley dealership because i know, directly or indirectly, i am helping the economy here, especially those who work in the industry that produces something i am passionate about.

Back