free website stats program Non-ethanol Premium | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Non-ethanol Premium

This discussion reminds me of when "unleaded" fuel was introduced down here 30 odd years ago. All the older cars and motors needed an additive included with their fuel.

I normally run 93 octane 10% EtOH with a pinch of Stabil added. Last weekend ran a tankful of 91 pure gas in the bike didn't notice any difference in performance. $3.89.

Last weekend ran a tankful of 91 pure gas in the bike didn't notice any difference in performance.

If I tried that on my bike, it probably would perform the same way also. Reason being on my bike, when the tank says "empty" I still have 1.2 gallons of fuel inside. I would just be diluting the mixure and not running pure gasoline.

Saying the bikes performance did not change is actually a VERY profound statement. Lets think this through for a moment. The Energy output per gallon of Ethanol is appox 76,000 BTU. The Energy output of reg gasoline is appox 119,000 BTU per gallon. Our world as we know it, exists based on physical laws, one of which is the Law of Conservation of Energy.

You may not feel it, but there is a differenece in performance. There has to be, it's a physical law of science.

But the bottom line is Live & let Live. No further comments regarding this topic from me. I promise.:)

When going from leaded to un-leaded we needed some kind of lubricate to keep exhaust valves from eating themselves up.
I've run 3 tanks of 87 octane "unleaded gasoline" back to back in my FB. Mileage did go up over 2 miles to gal. But, if I rolled on alittle hard in 3rd gear or higher, you could hear some pinging. Just plain riding, no problem even with the ion system, I'm sure, taking timing out.
So...I keep at least 2 gals 87 octane "gasoline" with the rest 93 octane=48 to 53 mpg.
I hope they don't go E15, we'll see.
wilks3
:USA

If I tried that on my bike, it probably would perform the same way also. Reason being on my bike, when the tank says "empty" I still have 1.2 gallons of fuel inside. I would just be diluting the mixure and not running pure gasoline.

Saying the bikes performance did not change is actually a VERY profound statement. Lets think this through for a moment. The Energy output per gallon of Ethanol is appox 76,000 BTU. The Energy output of reg gasoline is appox 119,000 BTU per gallon. Our world as we know it, exists based on physical laws, one of which is the Law of Conservation of Energy.

You may not feel it, but there is a differenece in performance. There has to be, it's a physical law of science.

But the bottom line is Live & let Live. No further comments regarding this topic from me. I promise.:)

Wait a minute Hoop, you not getting out that easy.

I could not tell the difference, with 1 tankfull, to be fair I would need to run several.

Your BTU numbers are accurate if all combustion products are taken into account, it is actually a little less considering some of the alcohol is not burned but forms water vapor during combustion.

Water vapor like you mention is advantageous as far as power produced without pinging in some applications.
That's why they have water injection on planes so they can run max power without doing damage.

Was not aware of water injection in aircraft, I assume only in piston engines, curious, what is the max percentage?

Was not aware of water injection in aircraft, I assume only in piston engines, curious, what is the max percentage?

The water injection is controlled by the pilot and as far as max %, couldn't tell you there, I only fixed them, not flew them.:D

It's a fish oil water combo that they use and it's distributed through a pretty elaborate carb on piston engines that uses balance chambers to lean out fuel when the water injection is applied on takeoff carrying heavy loads. With 4360 HP each of 4 engines , they need all the help they can get so they don't blow apart.

They were 28 cylinder engines, internally supercharged with 4 magnetos and dual plugs in each cylinder fired by independent coils. (double ignition systems). Real fun to set them up.

tn887s3.jpg

The water injection is controlled by the pilot and as far as max %, couldn't tell you there, I only fixed them, not flew them.:D

It's a fish oil water combo that they use and it's distributed through a pretty elaborate carb on piston engines that uses balance chambers to lean out fuel when the water injection is applied on takeoff carrying heavy loads. With 4360 HP each of 4 engines , they need all the help they can get so they don't blow apart.

They were 28 cylinder engines, internally supercharged with 4 magnetos and dual plugs in each cylinder fired by independent coils. (double ignition systems). Real fun to set them up.

tn887s3.jpg

Thanks Glider, cool looking engine. I'll file the info in the deparment of obscure information for the next time I play Trivial pursuit.:D

Back