free website stats program Non Drinker? Why.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Non Drinker? Why..

ZZroadking

Hi, Happy Holidays..
Just looking to find out the numbers and perhaps reasons why some of us do not consume alcohol. Also the positive things that the lifestyle brings you and those near you? A big congrats for sure on the no drinking ladies/gents! I see Jack Klarich is at 23 years (must of stopped at 12 yrs old):) craig Lee 15 yrs. I quit Jan 03, 2000. My wife was expecting our son and well I figured if she couldn't consume it would not be fair for me too. So I abstained as a solidarity thing. Still have not touched too this day. Going on 11 years. The negative thing is that I kind of lost track of a lot of a lot buddies. Not sure if it was the drinking or the family thing (or a combination).
Personally I don't miss it at all. I like not stressing, looking over my shoulder for leos any more and knowing when I go to work (School Bus Driver) I will never loose my license/job due to stupidity on my part. Never missed a day from work and physically feel good.. I also like the role model thing for our kids, my wife and I don't smoke (huge+). Needless to say a boat load of $$ saved and perhaps why I could run a Harley AND insure it. Have to say though the wife still drinks a little but has a basement full of wine looking for any one to help her reduce stock! I guess that is a invitation for those travelling in these parts..Always welcome.
Happy New year to all the members...

I quit after dropping my bike @ a stop sign, shame on me, My relation with The Redhead was strained to the point of divorce, just not worth it. I never got a DUI tho I should have had many. I do not miss it and I am 58 and sober 23 years this May and one day @ a time still an Alcoholic tho staying sober one day @ a time. Best of luck to all who have quit I am here for support if u need me , Capital Jack

I haven't had a drink since Oct. 25.Not for the reasons anyone would think,but because after I had a major operation I lost my taste for beer,wine whiskey,shooters and all carbonated drinks:(

Not a bad thing, hope you are healing good, maybe loose the taste for Alcohol could be a good thing:s

Well here i am a drinker i like a few beers on a friday and saturday evening never on an evening before i work the next day i have never had to look over my shoulder to worry about the police as i have never mixed alcahol and driving or riding i have seen a few that have and dont want to go there
As long as it is in moderation and you are in control then having a drink shouldnt be a problem when the drink is in control then you dont stand a chance

Brian

Hi, Happy Holidays..
Just looking to find out the numbers and perhaps reasons why some of us do not consume alcohol.

Here are 10 reasons for you to consider!!! :(

Many people may know the immediate dangers of drinking alcohol, such as the next-day hangovers or the embarrassing episodes. But the more people drink the more they endanger themselves and others around them. There are many problems created by alcohol abusers. Some of them are dangerous. Other problems are menacing to friends and family. There are also alcohol abuse dangers that are fatal.

1-Drinking and Driving
It does not take much to be legally drunk behind the wheel. But the more you drink the worse your impairment, according to the SAMHSA National Clearinghouse for Alcohol & Drug Information. Drinking and driving can lead to death and a lifetime of misery for families.

2-Mixing Alcohol and Medicine
Alcohol can make you feel drowsy or lightheaded and this intensifies those same effects in many medications, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism warns. It can be life-threatening when doing mechanical work, driving or engaging in everyday activities. Your ability to concentrate will be greatly diminished.

3-Domestic Violence
Drinking can cause friction at home, leading to arguments and fights. Violence and even death can result. Alcohol abuse is often a major factor in spousal and child abuse.

4-Liver Damage
Alcoholic liver disease can occur after long-term heavy drinking. It can lead to cirrhosis of the liver and eventual death. Cirrhosis is not reversible.

5-Immune Deficiencies
Heavy alcohol drinking weakens the immune system. This not only leads to many illnesses, but it can also interfere with the body's ability to fight off disease.

6-Cancer
The risks of cancers of the esophagus, mouth and throat increase with heavy drinking. Breast cancer can develop in women who drink daily. Cancers of the colon and liver have also been linked to heavy drinking.

7-Heart Disease
High blood pressure often results from drinking and can lead to heart disease and stroke. Alcohol abusers often experience heart palpitations and other heart problems during and after drinking.

8-Pancreatitis
Inflammation of the pancreas may occur following long-term, heavy drinking. Pancreatitis can interfere with the body's ability to regulate blood sugar levels, leading to abdominal pain and even death.

9-Birth Defects
Behavioral and learning difficulties can result from fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) because of women who drink while they are pregnant. Infants may also be born with birth defects. The U.S. Surgeon General has warned pregnant women and women who may become pregnant to abstain from drinking alcohol.

10-Alcohol Withdrawal
Sudden withdrawal from alcohol in attempt to quit drinking can cause the body to go through detoxification, causing anxiety, tremors, hallucinations and convulsions. It is good for alcohol abusers to quit, but they should go through the detoxification process in a medical treatment facility to help the body adjust and recover.

Well here i am a drinker i like a few beers on a friday and saturday evening never on an evening before i work the next day i have never had to look over my shoulder to worry about the police as i have never mixed alcahol and driving or riding i have seen a few that have and dont want to go there
As long as it is in moderation and you are in control then having a drink shouldnt be a problem when the drink is in control then you dont stand a chance

Brian

Thank you Brian,
I respect individuals choices on this issue and admire those that are responsible either way.

I haven't had any since 1975 and haven't missed it. I do still have a non-alcoholic beer every now and then. I found Christ in 74 and the Spirit just wispered in my ear that I didn't need to be doing that so I quit.

Brian

Well said Brian, I do not begrudge any one for drinking, I do know that I was out of control and can not be responsible so I quit Cheers to all who can drink in moderation, capital Jack:s

Well said Brian, I do not begrudge any one for drinking, I do know that I was out of control and can not be responsible so I quit Cheers to all who can drink in moderation, capital Jack:s

Perhaps as an infantry soldier i was conditioned to be in control although i smoke and enjoy a few beers when in a sniper hide for a week smoking would have given my position away therefore i did without during that period and really enjoyed it when i could indulge myself same with having a drink the longer you go without the better it tastes when you get the first beer but in the Scottish regiment i served with it was good practise to have a beer at the end of the week to close the week off as next week is a new week with new challenges and you need to be ready to meet them so almost a ritual that i have maintained from my time in the army as is some of the other things i do like get out of bed in the morning be at work in time correctly dressed and in a suitable frame of mind to get on with my job

Brian

Back