free website stats program non cv keihin blues | Harley Davidson Forums

non cv keihin blues

cdamario

My1985 fxrs will start right up with the choke closed or just slightly open, but when I start to open it the engine revs up a lot . Then as I continue to open the choke to half or full open , it stalls. Im thinking the float is too high, maybe causing it to flood. Or the problem is with the adjustment on the throttle stop screw on the left or the fast idle adjusting screw on the right. Please someone let me know where I should set these to get a good starting point ,as in screw down to stop and back out 2 turns or whatever how many. I have checked the accelerating pump air jets inlet valve float and pins , got 1 oz seafoam per gal in gas, and sprayed around with carb cleaner. Fuel from tank petcock and gas line clean. I hope someone can tell me where to set those 2 screws cause I cant find this info on the world wide web. Thank you in advance . Carl :wall

If you are saying it dies when the choke is opened but runs with the choke close or partially close(as in cold start procedure) then I would say you have a clogged jet,gummed up carburetor.You say you have Seafoam in the tank, has the bike been sitting for a while since last run?If your float bowl was out of adjustment,or stuck, to much you would have gas coming out of the float bowl over flow tube. Sounds to much like a dirty carb. to me.Also check for intake leaks.
tourbox

From the description of your problem i would say that you have too much fuel going through the carb the sort of thing that would happen if a jet had fallen out or the jets were too large
As i have no experience of that particular carb i don't know how to advise you on what to look for
Hopefully one of the other members with experience of your carb and its correct setup will come along soon

Brian

Thank you all . Fast idle cam seems to be operating right , Although I would like to know where the screw should be set . And the same for the throttle stop screw . The bike has been sitting for two years or so . I have been cleaning jets , ports , tubes , accelerating pump , inlet valve and so on as best as I can without taken apart and doing a rebuild . I just tried standing bike upright and opening the petcock and as I suspected after a few minutes gas started coming out of the overflow. I will try adjusting the float again and post my results.

Most carbs have a rubber coating on the tip of the float needle
The rubber can harden and fail to seal so it may be that the float needle need changing

Brian

Back