free website stats program Noises coming from my Softail rear end... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noises coming from my Softail rear end...

Yes you can check the bearings on the bike, it will not be easy to do but jack it up in neutral, turn the wheel forward and put your hand on the shock spring, if the bearings are bad you will feel the vibration in the spring:s

Jack,
I've been waiting for you to chime in! I'll try it as soon as I can.

Thank You!

Cheers!

When I first got my Heritage it had a strange humming noise coming from the rear. Like to never found it, but turned out to be the plastic inner fender section behind the oil tank was loose on one side and rubbing on the tire. Don't know if the Custom has the same set up or not, but you might look.

Ride the bike around the block first, if a bearing is just starting to go it will make more noise if its gotten hot. Jack up the bike and spin the wheel and hold a long screw driver on the axel shaft while putting the screw driver up to your ear. pointy end away from the ear, you should be able to hear a grumble threw the screw driver or feel the vibration if the bearing is going bad.

If you think the belt is rubbing on the side of the sprocket and making the noise, spray some silicone lube on your finger and rub it on the side of the belt all the way around. Ride it and see if it stopped making noise.

I tried ALL the recent suggestions and I don't think it's my bearings anymore.

My current guess is the most simplest. I may have "My First Harley Hebee-Jebees.

If you add to that my switching Transmission oil to Redline and making it quieter, it might help explain I'm hearing other things.

I'll keep an eye/ear on it. I have 1500 miles to go before the 5000mile service. If it gets worse before then, I'll take it in.

My Thank Yous to everyone who posted. It may have been for nothing.

Cheers!

Almost forgot about this thread. Pretty sure I have the noise figured out.

It's ME!

At my 5K service I was told the rear tire has worn... A LOT! I didn't think I was riding it that hard. Reading other tire wear posts, apparently I am. The noise I'm hearing is from "uneven wear" on tire. Noise is dramatically louder in curves, corners when I'm on the side of the tire. Still have tread left up the middle of the tire. As long as the roads stay dry I'll keep these tires on. I'm at 7500+ miles now, trying to put off new tires until it gets cold and rainy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, we all missed the most common growl that comes from the rear of a bike! lol

Glad it was something simple!

Regards, Bill

Yes you can check the bearings on the bike, it will not be easy to do but jack it up in neutral, turn the wheel forward and put your hand on the shock spring, if the bearings are bad you will feel the vibration in the spring:s

Jack, you got me confused. I can't see any shock springs on my Heritage. Maybe his is different.

Back