free website stats program noise | Harley Davidson Forums

noise

markwink

I let the local hd mechanic listen to my 06 ultra classic that has a noise that i have listened to for around 2000 miles. The noise sounds like a knock i thought it was the engine but he said it was from the clutch area. He asked about the pri chain tension i thought it was ok .I pulled the pri cover and started the bike and the noise is louder and seems to be coming from the clutch.When i pull the clutch lever in the noise gets louder.I noticed the chain was jumping alot so i chacked the tension and it had about 7/8" play so i adj it and started it again still the same noise.I went to remove the compensator nut and it was not very tight but wasnt completly loose then i removed the clutch nut and removed the clutch assembly.The bearings feel fine in the clutch and the trans shaft turns smooth .All that i have looked at seems to be good. Any ideas
Mark

Compensator nut should be difficult to remove it is on at 150 ft-lbs and kept there by red loctite and usually needs a fair bit of heat to loosen the loctite and a breaker bar to get the nut moving

Brian

the comp nut was no where near 150 ft lbs probably around 50 lbs at the most.Could the compensator be bad and what needs to be inspected on it?
Thanks
Mark

Now would be a good time to upgrade to the SE compensator, make sure to follow the instructions and do use a GOOD torque wrench

Unless things have changed over the years then 150 to 160 ft-lbs with some loctite 262 on the threads but first you would have to clean the threads both internal and external to give the loctite a dry clean surface to grip to
I would have a tendency to put it all back together correctly and try it out and see if it is better if not order the upgrade compensator
My way of doing things takes into consideration that any parts usually take 4 weeks to get to me and 4 weeks is a long time in our short riding season

Brian

I checked the clutch bearing and it sounded and felt good. I put it back together to the proper torque and still have the same noise. The chain isnt hitting no where inside the cover. I will keep on looking maybe the source will turn up.
Mark

This may be way off but I had a knock that sounded like the clutch but ended up being the starter had come loose and the bolts were about 3 turns out, tightened them and noise gone.
Just something else to check.

Back