free website stats program noise | Harley Davidson Forums

noise

markwink

My friend has a 1999 dyna wide glide with 25000 miles on it .He just bought the bike and it has a noise in the top end area it .When the engine is cold you cant hardly hear this noise but after a few minutes of running the engine the noise starts up.We installed a set of s&s adjustable push rods last night and the engine still has the noise.I checked primary chain tension and it is good.Has anyone have any good starting points for this problem?
Thanks
Mark

I followed the directions on the s&s adj pushrods and read the post that you suggested .The bike when cold sounds great but after a minute or so the noise starts.The loudest area is the rocker area of the front cylinder i have rechecked the adjustment according to the instructions and its still noisey.The noise sure sounds like a bad lifter to me but maybe its not.Any suggestions
Mark

I followed the directions on the s&s adj pushrods and read the post that you suggested .The bike when cold sounds great but after a minute or so the noise starts.The loudest area is the rocker area of the front cylinder i have rechecked the adjustment according to the instructions and its still noisey.The noise sure sounds like a bad lifter to me but maybe its not.Any suggestions
Mark

with 25k, i'd say replace thee lifters.some say this is preventative maint.
and i agree.

Agree , Replace the lifters soak them over night in oil readjust valves and ride it:s

can the lifters be removed from the engine by just removing the pushrods then using a paper clip or something sharp to get a hold on the retaining wire in the lifter and then just pull out.
Thanks for the help
Mark

can the lifters be removed from the engine by just removing the pushrods then using a paper clip or something sharp to get a hold on the retaining wire in the lifter and then just pull out.
Thanks for the help
Mark

If you have adjustable push rods Yes, if not you can cut your push rods out with bolt cutters and install adjustable rods now, or take the rocker boxes off , it is your ride you decide. Check the self help section Try T Q.s engine build:s

Thanks for getting back here with the cause of your problem! That's how we all learn from each other!:) Good luck with the repair.

We have all new parts now ,cam bearings, new se plate and oil pump,new cams etc. I made a cam bearing install plate worked great hope to get the chance to finish Thursday night.Again thanks for the help from members of this site
MaRK

Back