free website stats program Noise when riding 2-up | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise when riding 2-up

Cowchip500

Account Removed
I just replaced the detent on my 91 Fatboy (which required R&R of the primary). Every thing went together perfectly and the bike rides like normal. Then, when I put my wife on the back, it sounds like the primary chain is hitting the case (especially when we hit a bump). It's a rattle sound that isn't consistent. It sounds internal and from the front part of the primary.
When I ride single, nothing except when I hit a big dip in the road.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the tensioner on the primary chain and also the rear belt for interference issues?

I thought the primary was too tight, so I let it out a little when I put it back together. This would make sense, except, why would a passenger make any difference to a primary?
I just went for a put (alone) and the only time I heard the rattle was when I hit a big dip in the road (which makes me think primary, even more).
I'm going to have my buddy (HD mech) look at it tonight, before I tear into it again.
BTW- if anyone in WA needs a good wrench, this guy is top-notch, fast and CHEAP!

I found it (after taking the outer primary off 4 times). As I was waking up this morning, I was thinking about what else could make that noise. Then, I thought about the front inner primary bold that keeps backing off and realized it could be backing off due to the extreme vibration of the inner chrome cover if it is contacting the drive belt. So, I pulled the cover and sure enough, the back of the cover had been scuffed. I took the grinder to the corner and now, no noise.
My wife was pregnant when I put that cover on, so I haven't taken anyone for a ride. This wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't lowered the bike (and left the back seat off).

Back