free website stats program noise when I pull in clutch + loud grinding when I take off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

noise when I pull in clutch + loud grinding when I take off

Primary belt drives use no fluid so clutch plates are dry, when you pull the clutch lever in the plates are dry & loose in the clutch basket and rattle around alot, they do make noise. Have you ever rode the bike when this clutch noise was not there? If it's a new noise you might check the throw out bearing as Bud suggested.

Primary belt drives use no fluid so clutch plates are dry, when you pull the clutch lever in the plates are dry & loose in the clutch basket and rattle around alot, they do make noise. Have you ever rode the bike when this clutch noise was not there? If it's a new noise you might check the throw out bearing as Bud suggested.

I only know about these Belt Driven bikes from Others... Never worked with/on any Nor rode any...

From the Normal NOISE they make when I've been around them, I've NEVER felt the wanting to own or Change into one.

My question is DO they REQUIRE a different clutch-plate set up when run DRY,,,,

I Think they would, No lube in-between the fiber to metal and a lot of Clutch Chatter results. I have heard many that didn't sound as loud as I think this one sounds and performs. But Why is the question?

signed....BUBBIE

I only know about these Belt Driven bikes from Others... Never worked with/on any Nor rode any...

From the Normal NOISE they make when I've been around them, I've NEVER felt the wanting to own or Change into one.
I Think they would, No lube in-between the fiber to metal and a lot of Clutch Chatter results. I have heard many that didn't sound as loud as I think this one sounds and performs. But Why is the question?
signed....BUBBIE

Good question Bubbie; Some mfg's. advertise their friction discs are for wet and dry applications. Some mfgs. have discs for wet, and others for dry. I believe the steel plates are the same for all.
My Shovel head had a belt drive when I got it. Not the trick 3" belt but the older 1 1/2". I run it open, and it rattles but not real loud. The part I like least is lack of compensator & spring. It "shudders" a bit when taking off from a stop.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, all those old dry clutches made noise, it was there design, add an open primary and every one knew you were riding old iron with an open primary, I have even seen panheads with chain drive open primaries why I dont know but boy were they noisey

Another thing that can cause these problems with an open shovel type clutch is if someone over greases the bearing cage grease will sling out onto the clutch plates and cause clatter and believe it or not clutch sticking. I would suggest pulling clutch plates out and making sure they are clean.

Because the dry clutch uses a throwout bearing and all the mechanicals are on the left side, seeing an example of an open primary should reveal the internal mechanical mahem under that cover is easily heard...when the only purpose of that cover is to protect innards from dirt and debris. And the one below has the quieter primary belt drive...!

shovel763.jpg

Because the dry clutch uses a throwout bearing and all the mechanicals are on the left side, seeing an example of an open primary should reveal the internal mechanical mahem under that cover is easily heard...when the only purpose of that cover is to protect innards from dirt and debris. And the one below has the quieter primary belt drive...!

shovel763.jpg

Thats not the one that bit my leg:newsmile100: tho it would be a bit more quiet than an open 3 inch belt drive

Back