free website stats program Noise problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise problem

Syyrus

Laid my bike down on the right side. Reason! Some wonderful person pulled a left hand turn in front of me at an intersection. Chose to it down instead of T-boning them. A little sore but that was about it. The problem resulting is a noise. Cannot pinpoint it. Sounds like it is coming from the engine or the tranny. I've had a few friends who know a little about bikes listen, but know one can say where it is coming from. The noise appears a few minutes after starting the bike. You really hear it at about 1800rpms. Can't hear it at low idle or high idle, not moving or moving. The bike rides fine. No hesitation, goes through the gears fine, no backfire, nothing. Just a knocking sound. Metal on metal? Would anyone have any ideas. Did not have this noise before the bike went down!

Shake the exhaust pipes a little and listen. Maybe a loose baffle in exhaust. Do hope that you are not injured bad. Hate it when these things happen

Thank you for the suggestion. This happened in Nov.;luckily. Was dresses in chaps, gloves, jacket. Was a little soar on the hip but that was about it. Since then I have replaced the pipes(Straights)New controls,Lights,Grips, Mirrors, lifters, rocker arm bushings, rocker shaft, Etc. My buddy repainted my Tins. A couple of other friends and I used a piece of metal tube as a Stethoscope but don't hear it anywhere on the engine when you can hear it clearly standing by the bike. Well, I'm still looking, next step, bring it to a mechanic. Any other suggestions highly appreciated. If I bring it to HD, I know I'm looking at some $. But if that's what it takes, it needs to be done. Thanks agai for the help.

Back