free website stats program noise in primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

noise in primary

I have experienced failure of the inner primary bearing and race in my 2007 FLTR. The race and rollers were severely spalled creating a grinding noise any time the clutch was turning (noise only stopped when bike stationary, clutch disengaged and trans in gear. No oil leak, but starter ring gear was hitting inner primary due to excessive clearance in failed bearing apparently letting clutch assy wobble around. I only have 60,000 miles on the bike and would like to find a higher capacity bearing and or inner race with better metalurgy so I don't have to go through this again before I die or get too old to ride. Does such an upgrade exist for this bearing ? In working up a parts list I found that in 2008 MoCo changed the transmission mainshaft and the inner race. However no change has been made for the roller part of the bearing installed in the inner primary.

Thanks for any info on this failure.

There are several alternative to replacing with OEM parts. Baker and AllBalls offer a "hi torque" bearing that does not require a race. Both have mixed reviews and the Baker unit seems to have fewer reports of issues. SKF makes a bearing and seal that some use without a race but the inner race of the bearing has to be honed a bit for proper fit; forget the part number but NAPA carries them.

To be honest, I think you will be better off replacing with OEM parts. JMHO.

Thank you for the thoughtful and good sense response. I intend to stay with the OE chain adjuster since it doesn't seem the design of the Hayden or hydralic tensioners make sense. The Hayden comes close but too many posts about broken springs etc so I will stay with the current MoCo set up.

I saw a post where the oil hole lubing the bearing was opened up by adding a chamfer. I may modify my primary to capture more oil into the bearing in a similar fashion. I am also going to the latest design of the compensator. Don't know if that will help, but I guess it can't hurt (if $400 for parts doesn't hurt!).

Hopefully another 60,000 miles and no more starter or bearing problems!!!

Thank you for the thoughtful and good sense response. I intend to stay with the OE chain adjuster since it doesn't seem the design of the Hayden or hydralic tensioners make sense. The Hayden comes close but too many posts about broken springs etc so I will stay with the current MoCo set up.

I saw a post where the oil hole lubing the bearing was opened up by adding a chamfer. I may modify my primary to capture more oil into the bearing in a similar fashion. I am also going to the latest design of the compensator. Don't know if that will help, but I guess it can't hurt (if $400 for parts doesn't hurt!).

Hopefully another 60,000 miles and no more starter or bearing problems!!!

There are better aftermarket alternatives to the OEM compensator; the Compensaver and the Baker compensator.

Compensaver - Home

Compensator Sprocket Kit | Baker Drivetrain

Take a look before you buy the latest OEM upgrade.

Interesting info. Unfortunately after digesting the info I find the Part number for the 2007 compensator kit is not included. The part numbers called out for these aftermarket improvements is 42200064 & 64A which are used on '08 and up vintage bikes. 2007 Touring (and possibly 2006 Dyna's) use part number 40100061 SE compensator kit which seems to make them incompatible with the aftermarket upgrades?

Interesting info. Unfortunately after digesting the info I find the Part number for the 2007 compensator kit is not included. The part numbers called out for these aftermarket improvements is 42200064 & 64A which are used on '08 and up vintage bikes. 2007 Touring (and possibly 2006 Dyna's) use part number 40100061 SE compensator kit which seems to make them incompatible with the aftermarket upgrades?

The Compensaver will retro fit back 2007 and later models. It is an oil delivery system to provide proper lubrication to the OEM compensator.

The Baker unit also will fit 2007 and later models. The Baker uni is a replacement for the OEM compensator. The design is based on the pre '07 compensators and does not require an special oil delivery system as that is designed into the unit. The Baker unit does require removal of the plastic or cast in oil deflector inside the chain case cover as well as the removal of some of the casting "ribs" in inner primary behind the new compensator to provide clearance.

I don't see why either of those would not work in your '07 FLTR. Personally, I would go with the Baker unit. :s

Back