free website stats program noise in primary | Harley Davidson Forums

noise in primary

nascar7613

2004 Heritage. Hearing a knocking noise, seems like it is inside the primary. Took off the derby cover and ran it, could hear the noise is coming from inside the primary. Took off the primary cover, didn't see anything unusual, chain tension is good, tentioner shoe is fine. Took the discs out of the clutch, everythings looks good. When I spin the clutch basket with the discs removed, i notice that the ring gear wobbles. The ring gear is not loose, the whole outer assembly it is attatched to wobbles. The trans mainshaft looks ok, although when I spin it I can hear some noise. I'm trying to find out if this all seems normal or indicates a problem.

2004 Heritage. Hearing a knocking noise, seems like it is inside the primary. Took off the derby cover and ran it, could hear the noise is coming from inside the primary. Took off the primary cover, didn't see anything unusual, chain tension is good, tentioner shoe is fine. Took the discs out of the clutch, everythings looks good. When I spin the clutch basket with the discs removed, i notice that the ring gear wobbles. The ring gear is not loose, the whole outer assembly it is attatched to wobbles. The trans mainshaft looks ok, although when I spin it I can hear some noise. I'm trying to find out if this all seems normal or indicates a problem.

May have a bad bearing there to allow it to wobble...:newsmile105:

And Yes it would make noise...

signed....BUBBIE

Like Bubbie suggests, sounds like the bearing. May as well pull the inner and check it you've gone this far.

HD04FLHR019.gif
number 18 clutch hub bearing

Is the knocking noise at idle or under power. if at idle the nut on the compensator might not have enough torque. I have an 03 springer and thats was my problem. might not be yours but worth a look.

i had a knock in my 01 also and compensator nut is the first thing i checked and ditto it had loosened up retorqued and been good to go since and thats was about 3yrs ago

The compensator was tight. The clutch hub bearing rolls freely with the clutch assembly on the bench, could be a different story with it bolted to the shaft. The clutch basket seems to run true when it is bolted to the shaft, but the outer part with the ring gear wobbles. Could be the bearing in there. Could the compensator be tight and still make noise?

The compensator can "feel" tight but you really need to torque it to specs. to make sure it is tight.

my 2001 manual calls for 150 to 165 torque ftlbs and you should have the wedge to try and get it that tight hope this helps

Back