free website stats program noise in neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

noise in neutral

I have been hearing what sounds like a bearing noise in my 09 Electraglide Classic. It would only do it when I was stopped put the bike in neutral and release the clutch. The bike only has 22450 miles on it and out of warranty, so I tore into it myself. Pulled the primary off,removed clutch and comp. removed inner primary and found the main shaft transmission support bearing was badly worn and pitted.Looks like the snapring was in the wrong place and covering the lube hole. Have heard of others with 09's having this problem. Is this common on some bikes and not others?

I have been hearing what sounds like a bearing noise in my 09 Electraglide Classic. It would only do it when I was stopped put the bike in neutral and release the clutch. The bike only has 22450 miles on it and out of warranty, so I tore into it myself. Pulled the primary off,removed clutch and comp. removed inner primary and found the main shaft transmission support bearing was badly worn and pitted.Looks like the snapring was in the wrong place and covering the lube hole. Have heard of others with 09's having this problem. Is this common on some bikes and not others?
You are the First one to Let ME Know. Was it a FLUKE or could the ring Just Turn? Installed wrong by the trany builder and shipped to HD?
I do read a lot Here and on other sites also, but Never gave that snap-ring much thought. I never figured it could cover that Lube Hole... Isn't there a way the snap ring is installed to keep it from doing that? Not a Fail-Safe ?

If you would report a little more of YOUR findings I would Like to Hear..

This WILL give some other members here the information NEEDED to help solve their problem IF it may be the same... I ride an 09 FLHR no noise, maybe I got a good one.:D

Thanks for posting this problem especially because "YOU found it" and "YOU fixed it"...

Others may Chime in here with their thoughts.

signed....BUBBIE

On my 09 FLHTCU the inner primary bearing went out @ around low 20k miles, the snap ring was in the proper location when it was torn down.I have read about the possable snap ring placement problem but that was not the problem with mine I think maybe there are a buntch of poor hardened bearings out there. JMO.

Mine went out under warranty at 7000 miles and is now going out again at 16000 on my 09 FLTR. This seems to be a common problem on bikes manufactured in the same time period. I was told that they have an improved replacement now. I'll be tearing mine down to fix myself this time.

bc45 and bummy58 :newsmile026:

Could you look at the Build Date on your bikes?

It will be on a sticker on the down tube off the front end. This will help me Know When your bikes were put together and May shed a Little Light on this matter. Month and year built are there.

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

My bike was built 02-09. When it went the first time, I continued riding it until you could hear it over the motor and exhaust noise at highway speed. That way I knew they couldn't claim it was normal. The mechanic at the shop at that time is a friend of mine and said mine was the 6th or 7th that he had fixed so far. His father bought his a couple of weeks after mine and his went out later. Another friend bought his 09 right after the new model year came out and has over 30,000 on it without a problem. Right now mine is quiet when it's cold but gets noisy when it's warmed up. I park with the primary side against a wall and that really makes the noise stand out.

for the snap ring being in wrong, at 20K service isnt the compensator to be inspected? maybe the tech. that reinstalled it,goofed up.

I believe that the service schedule is referring to the new compensating sprocket and isolators or also known as the rear pulley that HD introduced to the final drive on the rear wheel

bc45 and bummy58 :newsmile026:

Could you look at the Build Date on your bikes?

It will be on a sticker on the down tube off the front end. This will help me Know When your bikes were put together and May shed a Little Light on this matter. Month and year built are there.

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Ill look tonight for you dont have it with me right now.
Do you have any data compiled yet or are you just starting?
I would be interested to se what you came up with.

Back