free website stats program noise in front end | Harley Davidson Forums

noise in front end

tommys

2009 heritage softtail has a clicking noise in front end. I noticed it o sunday while riding could hear it when cornering or when hitting a bump in the road. My first thought was neck bearings but after getting it home greasing the bearings and checking it out it apears to be in the shocks. With bike setting still, and turning wheel side to side it still makes a clicking noise but it also makes same noise when holding front brake and bouncing bike up and down I need some help or advice figuring this out thanks guys in advance

Very hard to diagnose that remotely. It is likely an interference between two parts that creates a clicking sound when the bike bounces. But it can also be a loose part. So check all fasteners particularly those on the tins, brake line supports, etc.

You may also want to check the front tire mounting procedure, and ensure it is right.

Other than that, it is just looking for something (probably obvious) that creates the click when you have those particular motions you described above.

You can do it.

TQ

2009 heritage softtail has a clicking noise in front end. I noticed it o sunday while riding could hear it when cornering or when hitting a bump in the road. My first thought was neck bearings but after getting it home greasing the bearings and checking it out it apears to be in the shocks. With bike setting still, and turning wheel side to side it still makes a clicking noise but it also makes same noise when holding front brake and bouncing bike up and down I need some help or advice figuring this out thanks guys in advance

??????? Broken Spring........?????

signed....BUBBIE

Like TQ said, hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. Don' forget to check for loose spokes and the chrome hub cap on the front wheel as a possible source for the noise. Maybe have a helper perform the movements that make the noise happen so you can further pinpoint the noise.

Have you checked the front end fall away? Could be loose or a bad bearing or race.

Check for loose head nut. I ride a 04 Softail and had a similar noise. I read on one of the boards I go to often to check my head nut as being a problem with other Softails. Mine was loose , put a wrench on it and popping noise went away. I hope this helps.

Harley Davidson Community have you looked at this?

Hello,
I had a bottom triple tree clamp bolt brake last week.1996 Softail . It gave a clunk on bumps. Won't hurt to have a look. Yeh I know it's old. And the starter failed yesterday. Things don't last forever.:)
Cheers
brt650

Well tommys,

Did you fine out what it was??? and if so What was it??

Thanks fore a reply, hope we helped..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back