free website stats program noise in front end | Harley Davidson Forums

noise in front end

ricks2006

I have a 2006 Herritage I have a werid noise comming front from some were in front end at around 35 to 40 I check the wheel bearing ok (but when I lean the bike at speed the noise goes away) Could it be the lower triple tree bearing hate to take it apart this time of the year. Does any body know how long it takes to r&r this bearing?????????:newsmile040:

I check the wheel bearing ok (but when I lean the bike at speed the noise goes away) :

How did you check them. That is not easy to do with the bearings still in the hub and the hub still mounted to the fork legs.

I think you hit it Glider. Very well could be that.

I took the front wheel off and check the bearings by turning the bearing by hand with a finger to feel if it had a rough spot.:newsmile040:

It does not have to have a noticeable rough spot for the bearing to sound bad while under load. If you felt any sign of "grittiness" it could be that. I have had bearings that while under dynamic conditions it sounded like something was sawing the axle in half and you were not going to make it to the next corner. But after taking the bearing out, sure it was bad, but nowhere near as bad as you expected from all the noise it was making.

You could force some retraction to the Front brake pads and go for a short ride using just the Rear brake. With the pads retracted in the calipers that would eliminate 1 other possibility.

I really don't think it is the steering yoke bearings (lower triple tree).

Thanks I guess I change the front wheel bearings motorcycle has 60,000 miles on it and I like to ride(dont like noise)

Back