free website stats program Noise in front cylinder rocker box | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise in front cylinder rocker box

Hobbit, Glider, I have a six speed in my bike and when I had the motor built we changed out the bolted stator/rotor for the new style and put the SE compensator in it. I looked at the jam nuts on my pushrods and they are tight but that doesnt mean that they didnt back off together. One thing i did notice is that I'm getting oil from the intake lifter when I turn it over but no oil is coming from the exhaust lifter, I would think you would see oil coming out of both lifters.

No reason not to see the oil but that isn't necessarily diagnosed as a bad lifter. Oil pressure on cranking is much lower than running.

I wasnt sure like I said I had good flow out of the intake side but none from the exhaust, I also have a #2 baisley spring in my pump so pressure should be up.

If the problem does turn out to be a bad lifter does anyone have a suggestion for what brand of lifters to get. My cam is .650 lift. I was told that the stock "B" lifters were pretty solid so thats what I used. Has anyone tried the S&S travel limited lifters?

Bike is going back to builder today, he is recomending feuling lifters if that is the problem. Has anyone out there used them and if so did they last long?

Bike is going back to builder today, he is recomending feuling lifters if that is the problem. Has anyone out there used them and if so did they last long?

They are a god choice, is that the problem?

Not sure if a lifter is the problem yet, builder is coming at 5pm to take it to his shop, I described the problem to him over the phone and he had me remove my pushrod covers and plug wires and turn over the motor to see if I got oil coming out of the lifter bores. There isnt any oil coming from the exhaust lifter and the noise is definetly coming from the front of the rocker box which would coincide with the exhaust side rocker, plus it is backfiring some which leads me to believe its getting fuel in but cant get exhaust out. I will definetly post the findings on here and thanks so much for everyones input.

Found the problem this morning, my rocker support broke and they aren't the stock units they are Woods billet support plates.

Attachments

• 0714101001.jpg
    0714101001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 47
Back