free website stats program Noise in front cylinder rocker box | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise in front cylinder rocker box

2006FXDCI

Started my bike up today and after a couple minutes of riding I started to get a clanking sound from my front rocker box and definetly lost power along with some backfiring. Turned around and went home, I removed my pushrod covers and my intake push rod has no vertical movement but it turns easily. My exhaust pushrod is very tight and can't be turned. I am running woods cams, stock"B" lifters, baisley pushrods, baisley heads and roller rockers and woods rocker supports. Any suggestions as to whats going on?

It still runs its just missing on the front cylinder. Kind of sounds like a roller rocker is loose in the top of the rocker box. I pulled the pushrod covers off and pulled my spark plug wires off, turned the motor over and both pushrods are lifting. Like I said it sounds like its coming from the top of the rocker box. Hope it isnt a rod I had darkhorse do my crank and put good rods in it.

I would get it to a shop and let them look at it. I wouldn't be turning the motor over anymore either. It very well might be in the top end. I'm not sure, but if you keep turning it over you will probably do more damage, and cost yourself more money. Good luck.

The reason I was turning it over was to see if I had a collapsed lifter, both lifters were operating but one thing that I noticed was when I had the pushrod covers removed the intake lifter squirted oil up out of its bore but the exhaust lifter didnt. Does this make sense? I am taking it back to my builder on tuesday but am just trying to figure this out so I can point him in the right direction. Also when I stated a clanking noise coming from the rocker box it kinda sounds like change jingling in your pocket.

Have you checked the pushrods for adjustment prior to removing them? It could be a bad lifter as well causing too much play in the valve train. Also have you checked the clearance for the rocker box covers being you have a bigger cam in it and the roller rockers especially?

Clearance problems with the roller rockers is a common occurrence and when heated up things expand too.

Glider, I didn't remove pushrods because I don't know how many threads per inch they are, they are the Baisley adjustables. My rocker box covers have been clearanced for my cams they are .650 lift woods 408-6 cams. I rode the bike 2 days ago and put 200 miles on with no problems. there is about 300 miles on this motor since I had it built and it's been rock solid. I started it up yesterday and it was fine during warm up, when I started riding it started making the sound from the rocker box and backfired a bit so I went back home and pulled the pushrod covers to see if maybe I had a collapsed lifter. I'm not a great mechanic on bikes but I've worked on cars all my life and it just seems to me like it's a lifter acting up.

Sorry Glider there are 3000 miles on my engine not 300

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to your builder, do you have warranty , could be a bent valve or broken spring or guide,sure sounds like valve train problem, I would not run it any more til its looked at JMO

Back