free website stats program noise from tank | Harley Davidson Forums

noise from tank

saintNH

I have started noticing a noise that sounds like its coming from my gas tank on my 01 Fatboy. When I turn on the ignition switch it will start before I even start the bike, and it will come and go after that. It is a high pitched sound, almost like a squeaking. Anybody ever have this?
WAP.gif

Your electric fuel pump is inside tank. If fuel filter has never been changed it would be a good place to start. Possibly heavy filter or pump starting to wear out...

Also pay close attention to the conviluted hoses attached, they have been known to develop pin holes, which can cause other problems.

Also pay close attention to the conviluted hoses attached, they have been known to develop pin holes, which can cause other problems.

Yep. Is it 'squeaking', or more of a hiss? If it's a hiss, then the chance is great that your internal fuel line has rubbed on something and has a pin hole in it.
Fuel injection systems run at somewhere around 50 lbs of pressure. So any reduction in pressure tends to make the bike run differently. Does the bike run any differently? 'Sneezing' out the air cleaner, a bit down on power at hiway speeds? These are some symptoms of the pin hole.

When you turn the ignition on, but don't start the bike, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds to build pressure, then shut off. Depending on the size of the hole, you may hear the pump cycle on/off.

It's definitely a squeaking sound, and I don't have any issues with it running differently at all. Runs perfectly normal. My guess is that it is the fuel pump making this noise. I had it pulled out of the tank earlier this year to work on the fuel gauge. Is there any chance that pulling it out of the tank may have done something that would create this sound?
WAP.gif

It's definitely a squeaking sound, and I don't have any issues with it running differently at all. Runs perfectly normal. My guess is that it is the fuel pump making this noise. I had it pulled out of the tank earlier this year to work on the fuel gauge. Is there any chance that pulling it out of the tank may have done something that would create this sound?
WAP.gif

Probably not, try some seafoam once in a while it will lube the internals of the pump:s

WAP.gif
Yes, if you miss routed the tubing and it has rubbed on something and wore a hole.

After digging thru some posts I found a test to see if the fuel pump lines are leaking. I took the gas cap off, turned on the ignition switching and listened inside the tank. I heard the pump start, then a hissing sound like there was pressure squirting out of a pin hole. I guess that's it!
WAP.gif

That link that Glider provided above describes the situation you may be facing especially with what you just posted. Time to get in there and replace those lines. I went with high pressure reinforced injector fuel line. Also while in there, replace the fuel filter and pressure regulator.

TQ

Back