free website stats program no start just clicking | Harley Davidson Forums

no start just clicking

short

When start button is pressed,and green wire from relay is not connected to solenoid 12.7 volts dc is present,but when relay is hooked to solenoid 0 volts just clicking from relay any ideas

I wouldn't necessarily judge the voltage output to be the final verdict on the battery being good or not. I'd have it load tested.

Either that, or it's the starter relay or the starter itself.

Jump across the solenoid does the starterspin? If so the fault is up the line

check the ground to both the battery and starter solenoid.
WAP.gif

Not sure what kind of starter is on your bike but the one on my 06 and my 13 are Nippedenso starters. There are brass contacts in the solenoid that wear out. They are replaceable in the automotive starters and would assume they are on these too. That is the symptom, just a click.

When start button is pressed,and green wire from relay is not connected to solenoid 12.7 volts dc is present,but when relay is hooked to solenoid 0 volts just clicking from relay any ideas

This scenario indicates a high resistance somewhere between the (+) battery post and the end of the green wire.

When the wire is disconnected, there is very little current flowing so the voltage will appear normal.

When you connect the wire, the component draws as much current as it can, and since there is resistance upstream, the voltage drops at the point of resistance and downstream, that is why you see low voltage when the green wire is connected.

This type of fault can drive you crazy because when you unplug the component and check for voltage at the connector, it appears normal.

When measuring voltage drop, always measure with the circuit energized, and complete (no connectors disconnected).

Note: thanks to Bodeen, for removing my earlier (inaccurate) post.

Back