free website stats program no start 87 FLHTC | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

no start 87 FLHTC

Check your battery ground cable for corrosion. Even if it looks clean, take it off the bike, sand it or wire brush it, including the cable and the battery terminals then put it back on.

Give us a picture of the other side of the shifter shaft (the other side of pivot shaft), where it connects to the solenoid plunger.

hi all
work has been overwhelming the couple months and haven't got to work on bike at all.
just wondering if anyone here has any experience with a product called Super Starter Saver relay.. it is supposed to "Cure the dreaded click"
instructions seem a little vague to me
thanx
Mac

hi
I realize there has been a long time between post on this question
I am finally fully recovered from yet another back surgery and am able to ride again if i can get this issue figured out.
as mentioned in my last post, the instructions I received with this Super Starter Saver kit seem lacking to me.
specifically, the instructions(attached) don't seem to account for all the wires currently in place.
was hoping someone with more experience in electrical issues could take a look and explain to me.
thanks for your help
Mac

Attachments

• super starter saver.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded you attachment and read it. Is there a page 1? I only got page 2.
Where did this unit come from?
tourbox

Reads pretty simple to me .Just adding a relay between the start switch on bars and the s terminal on starter .Boats have used start slave solenoids or relays for years. Or am I missing something? It's early

thanx for the replies.
Tourbox; the unit is from MidUSA, mfg by V-Factor, page 2 covers the wiring for Hitachi starter I have(pg1 is for models with the Denso starter).
Motor; I probably should have attached my current relay female connector.
which I have done here. I can figure out most of the connections, but there is an orange wire on the new relay which isn't mentioned in the instructions.
Mac

hi
one more attachment to help with my issue. this is the new relay
sorry for multiple posts
thanx
Mac

hi all
well had a very limited riding season due to another back operation
never really sorted the problem out so I think I will try adding a second relay
to see if that works. I have seen several different approaches to doing this online. have attached a drawing of how I think it should be wired, anyone please take a look and let me know if it will work.
thanks

bump could really use some help with this!!!

Attachments

• old wiring block2.jpeg
    old wiring block2.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 13
  • new relay.jpeg
    new relay.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
  • added relay 87 flhtc-edit-sm.bmp
    275.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would work. I don't see the advantage though of 1 relay pulsing a 2nd. relay.
tourbox

Tourbox
from what i have read, this configuration is supposed to supply the full 12v to the solenoid, without traveling all thru the yards of wire over the bike. just wanted to have someone confirm that this wont harm anything else
thanx
Mac

Tourbox
from what i have read, this configuration is supposed to supply the full 12v to the solenoid, without traveling all thru the yards of wire over the bike. just wanted to have someone confirm that this wont harm anything else
thanx
Mac

As long a s the wire gauge is correct, you should be OK, But I am with Tourbox and am wondering if you will end up with a voltage drop pushing 2 relays, if your solenoid is working properly why not install a push button on after the relay?

Back