free website stats program no start 87 FLHTC | Harley Davidson Forums

no start 87 FLHTC

Mac@taQ

hi all new to the forum have been lurking for a week or so
looking at other posts similar to mine. nothing worked for me.
so here is my problem
1987 Flhtc 1340 EVO Solenoid separate from the Starter
I took it to a mechanic to replace the intake manifold a few weeks back
he did the repair but when finished he left the key switch in the "ON" position
which also left my lights on. completely killed the battery. Boosted it with a
Jump Box so I could drive it home and put a proper charge on it. i removed the battery from the bike and let charge up for 24 hrs on a automatic charger.
I went to re-install the battery(positive cable 1st) when I attempted to connect the Negative cable it arced and tried to start the bike with the key in the off position...very scary!
I followed the manual advice on testing the relay and solenoid. the relay tested fine but the solenoid failed the Hold in Test. I purchased an new Solenoid and again charged the battery. this time when I connected the battery there NO sparks. I assumed that was good news...however, when I tried to start the bike, all I got the Dreaded Click.
really at a loss as to what to try next. I should also mention that it will not start with a boost from my truck.
I hope I have provided enough information to help you to help me.
any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated
thanx
Mac

Pull the battery out and load test it
Welcome to The Forum

thanx Jack
I neglected to mention I replaced the battery after changing out the solenoid , charged according to mfg instructions and load tested it only drops to around 11 under load so I believe it it okay
Mac

thanx Jack
I neglected to mention I replaced the battery after changing out the solenoid , charged according to mfg instructions and load tested it only drops to around 11 under load so I believe it it okay
Mac

With the key off bike in neutral, short across the solenoid to the green wire, will it turn over? This takes the ignition out of the loop, if the solenoid is working the starter should turn the engine over

I jumpered from the pos on the battery to the small post(green) on the solenoid, it tried to start, it continued to try after I removed the jumper, had to removed negative battery lead to stop it. ignition was off and in neutral
I have a spare relay. I am letting it charge for a bit then will install new relay.
I assume this would accomplish the same thing as crossing the positive connection from the battery to the small center post on the solenoid?
any other suggestions?
Mac

I jumpered from the pos on the battery to the small post(green) on the solenoid, it tried to start, it continued to try after I removed the jumper, had to removed negative battery lead to stop it. ignition was off and in neutral
I have a spare relay. I am letting it charge for a bit then will install new relay.
I assume this would accomplish the same thing as crossing the positive connection from the battery to the small center post on the solenoid?
any other suggestions?
Mac

If the starter stayed engaged the solenoid is the culprit. Even tho it has been changed, it is an electro magnetic switch, The relay is not supplying the power with the ignition off. Where did you get the solenoid from? You can disassemble it and check the contacts. Most solenoids can be repaired without replacement.

855ff7a1-053b-4258-8bb4-1547e7ae6c0f.jpg

Here is a picture of a solenoid rebuild kit
If you have any problems with these type of solenoids it is the disc on the end of the shaft
Carbon tracking and cheap construction is the biggest problem I have run into
The disc can be removed, cleaned and put back into service if it is not corroded or pitted

thanx Jack
I got the relay from my local HD dealer. I will remove and inspect.
Mac

Good luck, and check back in
I had a starter do the same thing
After I took apart the solenoid and flipped the disc No more problems
You can bench test a solenoid before you install it
hook up a battery charger to the main lug, ground the solenoid, take a socket and insert it in the opening, if the solenoid is working it will pull the socket out of your hand

okay removed the solenoid opened it up saw some slight burn mark on the disk flipped it over re-assembled then ran out of light. I will bench test tonight and re-install tomorrow
will let you know my results.
thanx for the help
Mac

well I finally got back to it today. unfortunately I seem to still have the same problem. the only thing that has not been changed out now is the starter, not looking forward to that job.
just to refresh, I bought a new battery, followed the mfg. instructions for prep and charging. purchased a new relay, purchased new solenoid and did pull-in hold-in tests as you suggested. had the battery on charger until this morning, hooked everything back up and IT STARTED!
Let it run for 5 minutes or so(lights off) half then 1/4 then no choke. noticed the voltage near 11v, should be around 14v when running I would think??
it sounded like the starter was staying engaged when I shut it down. tried to start it again, only got click at relay not solenoid.
I am desperate for a solution, any ideas?
Mac

well still no solution to this problem am trying to attach a picture of contact disc from solenoid
Mac

Attachments

• solenoid disc.jpg
    solenoid disc.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Back