free website stats program No Spark | Harley Davidson Forums

No Spark

roadking01

Contributor
Greetings all, great site and great source of knowledge. I have a 01 roadking classic with 140k miles in it, I bought the bike used in 2006 with 60k miles in it and up until now I havent had any major issues with it, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a whining noise coming out of the engine after doing some research on this site I found the problem to be worn cam chain tensioners. My buddy replaced them for me and rode the bike home on saturday without a problem I rode the bike on monday to work (100 miles round trip) without a problem, on tuesday it would not start, only a pop through the pipes and nothing else, I could smell gas so I knew gas was not the problem, I found no spark to the plugs, I removed the coil and checked the resistance against a new one at my local dealer and numbers were exactly the same. I checked the crank sensor and as far I can tell was working fine also checked for broken fuses and those were all fine. I took the bike back to my buddy to have him check it last saturday morning. about three hours later he called me to pick up the bike, I asked him what was wrong he said he didn't know since all he did was spray carb cleaner in the throtle body after getting some poping out of the pipes it started right up. I picked it up two hours later and rode it home (35 mile) the bike ran great, I parked the bike in the garage, I tried to turn it back on after two hours and it hesitated for a while but after I spayed some carb cleaner it turned on and idled fine for a while. on sunday morning I tried to turn it on again and it hasn't turned on since. I took it back to my buddie's place and hasn't been able to find the problem, he checked the crank and cam sensors and they seemed to be working fine. at this point the bike has no spark, the coil gets power but when the engine is cranked power to the coil is no longer there. sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure to provide as much information as possible, any suggestions on what could be causing this will be greatly appreicated.

TQ, I checked the ckp using the procedure in the self help section, I also did a visual check for wear and metal shavings. I've done a lot of reading in this site and I'm inclined to have the ckp replaced just wanted to see if there was something else I should check.
thanks for the help, i'll post the results once I replace it.

TQ, I checked the ckp using the procedure in the self help section, I also did a visual check for wear and metal shavings. I've done a lot of reading in this site and I'm inclined to have the ckp replaced just wanted to see if there was something else I should check.
thanks for the help, i'll post the results once I replace it.

There seams to be a rash of problems on the 099/2003+ bikes all showing the same or similar symptoms..
My 2000 dyna FXDS went thru 4 crank sensors and 2 cam sensors during it's stay with me until traded off on my new 09 FLHR.

HD did away with part of the Problem, the cam position sensor, A Hall Effect sensor located on the cam-chest Nose Cone...

I'm not sure of exactly when this cps sensor was removed.. only thought it was after my 00 that it was Not used on the 01's.?

You might check your 01 year and see if that cps is on your bike. It would show the similar symptoms and just Might be the problem...

We have had others with the Symptoms just recently, as you may have followed, ALL checking the Many other things that could be their problem.

I never thought my CMP or the CKP were my problem at first. So many Different symptoms Each time one went out, I would First go for Thinking, ignition mod. ..... No, then the coil,.... No, and questioned myself but always hard to admit "it was the sensor" and that many?

Hd put out a bulletin way back about the problems the TCs was having with the sensors and boy didn't I have my share.

I just wanted to go Here with this so you might read around the answers that did and Didn't work...

Such a simple fix, Now how can it be that Hard?

well it seams to get tougher and with each bike..

I Will extend my help to you when you need it and by the way, I USED to have lots of long hair if you get my drift.

bubbie

Bubbie, my bike does have the cam sensor still I hope the problem is the crank sensor and not the cam since the crank sensor is about $40 cheaper, the buddy thats helping me trying to reslove this problem has a crank sensor from a soft tail, do you think it will fit my bike just for testing? If this is the problem I will get a new one

Bubbie, my bike does have the cam sensor still I hope the problem is the crank sensor and not the cam since the crank sensor is about $40 cheaper, the buddy thats helping me trying to reslove this problem has a crank sensor from a soft tail, do you think it will fit my bike just for testing? If this is the problem I will get a new one

I think it should work... But Don't hold me to this if you try!.

be aware!

I would Check the length of your old sensor and compare length of the new one... MAKE SURE it isn't longer(just the body not the wire) at the INTO the Engine dimension. Or problems will happen to the new one if longer there.

Glider, HIS published paper on "crank sensor" under "self help". I think this shows a picture of the new design and information.

try the "self help" information first, good reading there.

bubbie

Thanks Bubbie, I did read all I could find in the self help section that had anything to do with the crank sensor. I will take your advise and make sure the sensor's not longer. thanks for the help and I'll post the results.

the ckp on my bike is a two wire and the cmp is a three wire, I'm not sure what my buddy has but if it doesnt match with mine I would assume that it' not compatible with my bike is that right?

Back