free website stats program no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

no spark

CKluttz

02 fxstsi

started the bike 2 days ago, just to let her idle for a few minutes, its been about 2 weeks since it was started. When she fired, she was running on 1 cyl. I shut it down, checked spark on both cylinders....the frt would spark every so often, no spark from the rear cyl. Now I dont have spark on either plug. I have replaced the cps and the coil.
All connections are tight. Battery is fully charged.

Welcome CKluttz to the HDTimeline forum...being as you just came on board...take a bit of time to look over the tabs near the top of the web page, Self Help Tips may provide insight into the problem you are having, and also Search using keywords to find related threads to help you troubleshoot. That said, it sound like a bit of background is needed before we can help.

Did you try the basics...blown ignition fuse, corrosion or poor connections, pinched wiring or even kill switch/controls problem may be suspect. Do you have a manual with a good schematic...a DMM to check voltages, and a bit of history...when and what mods were done recently that may have incurred collateral damage. Give us as much info as you can to help us help you.

I agree start with the basics, a service manual would be a great help, but you should also check out the self help tabs. Maybe check the plug wires, also meter the coil to make sure it is still in proper working order. If you still need help repost with a little more info. on your problem, with all the great people here we will get you fixed up.

yes, I have the HD service manual. I have checked connections and for any pinched wires. No mods in the last year. Two weeks ago, she fired up with no problems, other that having to jump her off at the battery. After doing this, and letting her idle for about 15 mins. I shut her down, then fired her up again with no issues.I checked all the fuses. The relays are working, because the fuel pump is priming.

Update.....

shes firing on the frt cyl only...

shes running.......put a new set of used plugs in her....I had cleaned the old plugs....guess I'll be going to get a set of NEW plugs now....
Appreciate the help gents!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah a bad set of plugs will do that. Did you try the front plug in the rear wire to ground to see if you were getting spark that way?

Good Deal, make sure you do the routine maintainance..."ohm" out the wires for proper resistance (check manual for proper range), and use dielectric grease on the contacts. Also make sure the nipples on the plugs are securely tightened. Being as your bike is about 7 years running it might be a good idea to follow Jacks' tip...wires can be made or pre-dressed for about $30.

If u use an ohm meter bend the wires to see if it changes the readings may be breaking down under a load a very good and simple test Good Luck

Back