free website stats program No Power | Harley Davidson Forums

No Power

isotope

I replaced the ignition and battery in a 2004 softtail. Lights and everything else came on and it wanted to start but wouldn't turn over. I didn;t like how rough the ignition wires were so I disconnected them from the ignition to clean them up. Before reconnecting, they touched the bike and sparked. (No, like an idiot I hadn't disconnected the battery.) Now nothing comes on. No lights. No starter cranking. Nothing. The fuses appear to be ok and since this happened I did replace the starter relay.
Could this be the breaker? Any other ideas?
Thanks

I replaced the ignition and battery in a 2004 softtail. Lights and everything else came on and it wanted to start but wouldn't turn over. I didn;t like how rough the ignition wires were so I disconnected them from the ignition to clean them up. Before reconnecting, they touched the bike and sparked. (No, like an idiot I hadn't disconnected the battery.) Now nothing comes on. No lights. No starter cranking. Nothing. The fuses appear to be ok and since this happened I did replace the starter relay.
Could this be the breaker? Any other ideas?
Thanks

"Wanted to start" meaning tried to turn over and didnt like battery was weak or bike did nothing when button was pressed. Sounds like the main breaker(behind Rear wheel) got triped when short to ground from wires touching. Breaker should reset after a few seconds. Sure others will chime in soon.

I would check the ground cable at the frame, battery connections & the main circuit breaker behind the rear fender with a volt meter. If you have 12.8 volts at the battery term, just keep following the circuits till you loose power. Sounds most likely a bad connection somewhere.

Thanks,
The bike has been sitting in storage for a while so it didn't surprise me that it wouldn't start. I'll check the breaker. It's been a few days and it hasn't reset. Could it just be bad/fried?

Back