free website stats program No power when I try to start bike, just a click... | Harley Davidson Forums

No power when I try to start bike, just a click...

dennislee99

Okay so I got my cables mounted and everything and I went to start my bike and when I turn the ignition switch in to the on position it just clicks somewhere down around the starter. When I added the apes I used shrink wrap butt conectors and I checked everything for bare wires. AfterI finished all the handlebar wiring I checked to make sure it would turn over and worked just fine. Now a couple days later this is all I get. Does this sound like maybe something that could be in the solenoid or the starter? If I put the ignition switch into the accesory position everything works fine but in the run position I dont even get the light on the speedometer or anything. Ive tried charging the battery and everything.

Check the battery connections. Remove, clean and reinstall them. You probably had them off doing the wiring and they aren't making a good connection now.

Always remove the negative first and install it last.

Tried checking the battery cables just now, everything is clean and tight. It doesnt seem to be like the click that it would make if it had a bad connection tough, it just makes one click, then a short pause and a differnt sound of a click, and it will just keep doing this as long as the ignition is in the on position.

Took em off, wire brushed them and tightened them down with a wrench. Im just wondering if it might be something with the starter. The reason why is that the chrome is chipping off the starter like maybe the previous owner was using a hammer to bang on it to get it to work.

Interesting.
Maybe suspect a bad armature in the starter or bad contact in the solenoid from what you explained.

You can try jumping the solenoid from the small terminal on the solenoid to the big one on the starter and see if it cranks to see if the problem is a wiring problem on the bike.

Make sure you are in neutral because if the key is on it will start like this.

Last edited:
So I pulled off the chrome side cover on the left side and the plate behind that and there is a terminal with two wires on one side and one on the other and this is where the clicking is coming from. I believe this may be a circuit braker or something, not sure. Perhaps Im going to have to wait until the shop opens monday and see if they can assist me.

---------- dennislee99 edit/added post 19 minutes and 31 seconds later ----------

It's alive, what a strange problem that was. The aftermarket tank that I put on there was designed for the older style console and I had to weld on a bracket to get this one to fit, anyway what I believe the problem was is that a wire must have been pinched between the bracket and the console because as I started to loosen the nut to take off the console all of a sudden all the lights come back on and now it turns overt just fine.

Last edited:
All problems should be fixed so easily.:D

As I always say, look in the last place you worked for the problem.

Back