free website stats program No power to my coil or to my fuel pump | Harley Davidson Forums

No power to my coil or to my fuel pump

stinger56

Hello to all of you :) The last few days,, I have been trying to track down,, why I might not have power 12v. wise going to my two plugs. One on the back of the coil. and also the plug that goes to my fuel pump. I have checked the fuse for the fuel pump. 15 amp. seems good . I put another one in anyway.
I also put in a new system relay in .. Still no power seems to go to either one of those plugs. on the bike. I do have the kill switch in the on posistion. and my bike is in neutral... The starter turns fine..
I havent dug deeper into the fuse block location yet,,, to see if I have a wire that is not where it should be.... or whatever my ole eyeballs can determine... I know their are sensors and also stufff that makes the ECM do its thing... I did have the Coil bench tested by my dealer,, and I put new plugs and wires on ... just to try to take that out of the equation.. I do have a number of codes that present when I run the diagnostic.. I did see on another HD site a person had the same problem a few years back,,, but I didnt see a answer to his question of the same sort that I am asking about... Power wise... lol I apologzie for the ramble.. I guess I know enough to get in trouble lol but not enough at this point to kinda figure it all out.
2010 softail convertible CVO. 110 c.i. which I bought new.

Please post your codes. It may give us additional info on your issue.

Did not the CVO have a security system???? And is it working properly?

Please post your codes. It may give us additional info on your issue.
Thank you SledDog...
P 0261 P 0263 P 1351 P 1354

Did not the CVO have a security system???? And is it working properly?
Thank you dbmg... At this point the securtiy system seem to be cycling and working properly,,, even through all the connects and reconnects of my neg. terminal at times...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to throw this out there.. since my friend txt. me.. a short time ago... Would it make sense to replace the start relay? which is right next to the system relay,, that I replaced.. They are under $10.. I more or less just mmm guessed it had more to do with the actually starter getting it's juice,,, which like I said the starter works fine..... lol at this point.

"The last few days,, I have been trying to track down,, why I might not have power 12v. wise going to my two plugs. One on the back of the coil. and also the plug that goes to my fuel pump. " A bit of confusion, are you using the word "plug" differently?
Spark plugs, or connectors? If you have the Sparkplugs out, and grounded to the head, you will not see spark. The ECM must see compression for spark to occur. You can not hear the fuel pump prime then stop, correct? Easy way to eliminate spark problem from fuel problem is to remove air filter and squirt some gas in intake while spinning starter. If it fires, you know it's a fuel problem, not spark.

"The last few days,, I have been trying to track down,, why I might not have power 12v. wise going to my two plugs. One on the back of the coil. and also the plug that goes to my fuel pump. " A bit of confusion, are you using the word "plug" differently?
Spark plugs, or connectors? If you have the Sparkplugs out, and grounded to the head, you will not see spark. The ECM must see compression for spark to occur. You can not hear the fuel pump prime then stop, correct? Easy way to eliminate spark problem from fuel problem is to remove air filter and squirt some gas in intake while spinning starter. If it fires, you know it's a fuel problem, not spark.
Hello Breeze and thank you for educating me a bit more.... I didnt know about the compression part,,, in order for the ECM for the spark occur.
That is correct... I dont have any Fuel pump sound like when it is supposed to pressurize up... I just hear the faint sound the system relay makes when I toggle the power/kill switch.. In other words I dont hear that 3 second or so prime buzzzz the fuel pump usually makes as it pressurizes...
I did check my wiring down in the fuse block area and it all seems nice and secure... However I do not have 12v on the hot leg of the fuel pump fuse terminal.... Would the ECM also control that voltage that would go to that terminal/fuse locale marked fuel pump?

Back