free website stats program No Power on My '80 Super Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Power on My '80 Super Glide

So apparently someone converted it to points at some point in it's life. I changed the points and condenser ($23) and got spark. I put the spark plugs back in and it started right up. Not bad for sitting 10 years and rebuilding the carburetor myself.

I got it home. It's running a little rough so I have to readjust the points and tune the carb.
Any tips on tuning the carb? It's an S&S Super.

The only problem I have no is it's not charging. Gonna troubleshoot that today.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Machine Vile

Great Job!! Thanks for the update. Let us know what you find out about the charging system

Bought a new battery, installed it and get nothing. No lights, no nothing.

Jumped across the solenoid and got power but just clicked when I hit the starter button.

Machine Vile

I really do not believe you found the root cause of your problem. Yes it now starts and runs but changing the points and condenser would not fix the above problems you mentioned. Points and condenser are not going to fix hearing just a "click" when you hit the start button nor would it fix the "No lights".

Unless you left out a part of the description & story, you will be back into it.

hoople mate he found bad wiring and a failed relay in entry pont 5 after he had got the power going through the system then no spark and the points and condenser fixed that problem
i think this may be one to keep watching as im sure further help may be required as time goes on
but it does keep one older bike on the road :)

Brian

Oops, my mistake. I need to slow down and READ the entire thread.

Congrats Machine Vile, Nice Job on fixing your Ride. Just in time for the weekend too!:p

machine Vile points setting if i remember, 19 thou bout the thickness of matchbook cover..

Troubleshooted the charging system and found no voltage at the regulator. Replaced that for $50 and that fixed it. Went for my first ride Sunday and it's been running ever since.

Thanks again to everyone that gave me a hand.

Machine Vile

MachineVile...Glad you found the problem...! Is it possible to post up some pix of your new found jewel in the rough...? Always nice to see good ol' iron! :guitar

Five posts, registration at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and then upload your pictures, use their editior to size to 800 x 600 pixels, save as original, copy 4th Image option to your post and voila your pix is in there!

I will see if I can. I have pics of it before I got it home. It doesn't look much different now as I have been enjoying riding it...hehe

Here it is before I got it home and one of me on it at work.

Attachments

• HARLEY 002.jpg
    HARLEY 002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
  • HARLEY 007.jpg
    HARLEY 007.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
  • HARLEY 010.jpg
    HARLEY 010.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3
  • HARLEY 012.jpg
    HARLEY 012.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 06142010066.jpg
    06142010066.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
Nice!...may want to post it up in the FX modeles - "Post your Pix..." thread where you can check out others who have similar model! :D

Back