free website stats program no power, no idea why | Harley Davidson Forums

no power, no idea why

robusto

Hi

I'm brand new to the forum, and really hope you guys can help.

2002 sporty was in storage for 2 years. The battery was dead, and I charged it. I reconnected it to the bike, and when I turn the ignition nothing happens - no lights, no turn signals, no ignition.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to determine what the problem is?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.
There are so many possibilities. I assume the battery has been checked with a meter after charging and it is holding more than 12.5 volts.
Is the run/stop switch on the right grip "on"?
Is it possible that the battery charger was touched backwards for even an instant? That could blow a fuse. I'm not sure if your bike has fuses or circuit breakers, but they need to be checked.
Give us an idea of your mechanical/electrical capabilities, it helps step by step instructions. Also why in storage, where (dry inside, wet outside, exposed to critters, etc.). This forum has some really sharp electrical minds, but I'm not one of them.

Last edited:
Welcome to The Forum. Start at the source the battery, make sure it is good load test or replace it, check to see you have battery voltage at the starter, the main post at the starter should read battery voltage, clean ALL connections and make sure the run switch is on and check back

Thanks for the quick replies.

It's been in my attached garage, dry and up on a stand for the past 2 years. it had a good cover on it. I checked the main fuse harness next to the battery, and all 4 of those 15a fuses are good.

When I first charged it was in the bike. I didn't disconnect the leeds to the battery. could that have blown a fuse?

yeah, the start button is on. even when I turn the key to "ignition" none of the lights come on (or the odo).

Thanks...

Thanks for the quick replies.

It's been in my attached garage, dry and up on a stand for the past 2 years. it had a good cover on it. I checked the main fuse harness next to the battery, and all 4 of those 15a fuses are good.

When I first charged it was in the bike. I didn't disconnect the leeds to the battery. could that have blown a fuse?

yeah, the start button is on. even when I turn the key to "ignition" none of the lights come on (or the odo).

Thanks...

Pull the battery out and have it load tested:s All things start at the battery, a bad battery will not take a charge

I agree that testing the battery under load is necessary. You can charge an old battery and check it with a voltmeter and think it is OK. When the battery is connected, it still might not be able to provide any current to operate anything.

Install the battery and switch the bike on while you have the voltmeter connected. You will probably see that the voltage drops quite a bit. This would be a sign that the battery is bad.

Their is a 30 amp fuse their to,you just checked the 15 amp ones,5 fuses in total.
I only saw the 4 15a fuses - where's the 30a fuse located?

I think the opinion is pretty clear (and appreciated) that I need to get the battery load tested. If the 30a fuse is good that's my next step.

you guys are really great - quick replies and lots of 'em.

It should be under the triangle cover right buy your battery,if not under the seat.
It's their so before you do any thing i would check it:)

Back