free website stats program no power at ignition switch | Harley Davidson Forums

no power at ignition switch

97 heritage- went for a ride today ,parked in driveway. Went to start bike up and no power or acces. Checked ground at battery , checked battery 12.7v. pulled switch and nothing looks wrong. Could it be a bad switch or breaker? Any ideas what to check? Anyone have a pic of the breaker. I like working on bikes but electrical gives me a mental block.

This is what it looks like.

%21BzB5Gfg%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqJ,%21gwE%29CWlHZ4cBMUL6iU7+w%7E%7E_1.JPG

Remove and clean both battery cables and check the other ends of the cables too if this doesn't fix the problem.

97 heritage- went for a ride today ,parked in driveway. Went to start bike up and no power or acces. Checked ground at battery , checked battery 12.7v. pulled switch and nothing looks wrong. Could it be a bad switch or breaker? Any ideas what to check? Anyone have a pic of the breaker. I like working on bikes but electrical gives me a mental block.

My '91 Dyna started having problems when it was around 8 years old. Had lights and stuff but intermittent no start. Did all the hard or expensive stuff and then it turned out to be the kill switch and starter button on the bars. All corroded up inside with white/greenish corrosion salts acting as a pretty good insulator. Took the switch mount off and disassembled, cleaned and lubricated everything then back together. Voilà!!

TQ

If the kill switch was bad wouldnt I still have lights? Where is the 30A breaker located? I cant find it.

See attached for the location on my bike ('03 UC).

TQ

Attachments

• Main breaker location.pdf
    257.3 KB · Views: 30
Check where Tquentiun mentioned but it may also be located behind the rear wheel slash guard right behing the oil tank. They sometimes rivet it to the plastic splash guard.

Pulled switch again to check voltage and now have power. I found a wire rubbed bare by the rear tire. Would this cause a total power loss? I ordered a new switch just in case.

Back