free website stats program No ONE KNOWS HOW????????? | Harley Davidson Forums

No ONE KNOWS HOW?????????

RAINMAN66

I can't believe no old timers or harley techs knows the answer to my problem about how to hook up the ignition module and coil into the wiring system with a push button starter.?

I myself was amazed how many changes are made from year to year and model to model with HD Scooters. Unless I had an original wiring diagram for your exact model and year, I would not know where to begin. I like others could tell you what you need to know but without a schematic it would only be a guess and worse case could possibly give you wrong info which would lead to letting the smoke out of a good component. I am sure that is not what you want.

I can't believe no old timers or harley techs knows the answer to my problem about how to hook up the ignition module and coil into the wiring system with a push button starter.?

Battery voltage from switch to ignition pick up assembly to coil, you may have a look at dyna s website or mc power arc to see how there systems are wired

Battery voltage from switch to ignition pick up assembly to coil, you may have a look at dyna s website or mc power arc to see how there systems are wired

Jack wouldn't it be switch to fused starter relay to ign relay to pick up assy to coil. Just asking.:worthy

On a stock 1980 FLH

To Coil
Battery through circuit breaker, to Igniton Key switch, to ignition relay, to kill switch, to plus side of coil.

Basics Needed;

With no kill switch, no circuit breaker, no fuse, ect. You could run directly from the battery through on/off switch to + side of coil.

Not responsible for fires, burnt harness, etc.

Both plus and minus side of the coil go to the stock Electronic Module. Guessing aftermarket would be similiar.

Push Button starter. Your talking on the handle bars right? You did say the starter was wire directly to the battery, but I am guessing there is a starter soliniod in the picture somewhere. If not you will need one.

12 volt HEAVY wire from the + side of the battery to starter soliniod. Another HEAVY wire from other large terminal on starter soliniod to starter.
(Not responsible for fire, wrong gauge of wire here will make one )

Then if your bypassing relays and everthing else. You will need a momentary switch that send 12 volts to the small terminal on the starter soliniod. (This will activate the soliniod and connect the two large wires(Battery to Starter).

You could pick this 12 volts up from the same switch used for the coil. But you still need the momentary switch to turn the starter.

I would consider fuse or circuit breakers.

Jack wouldn't it be switch to fused starter relay to ign relay to pick up assy to coil. Just asking.:worthy

ERRR YEAH BUT NOT SURE OF HOW HE IS WIRED WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICSs, COULD AVOID ALOT OF UNNECASSARY WIRES MAYBE, KEEPING IT SIMPLE, sorry about the cap locs stuck lol

On a stock 1980 FLH

To Coil
Battery through circuit breaker, to Igniton Key switch, to ignition relay, to kill switch, to plus side of coil.

Basics Needed;

With no kill switch, no circuit breaker, no fuse, ect. You could run directly from the battery through on/off switch to + side of coil.

Not responsible for fires, burnt harness, etc.

Both plus and minus side of the coil go to the stock Electronic Module. Guessing aftermarket would be similiar.

Push Button starter. Your talking on the handle bars right? You did say the starter was wire directly to the battery, but I am guessing there is a starter soliniod in the picture somewhere. If not you will need one.

12 volt HEAVY wire from the + side of the battery to starter soliniod. Another HEAVY wire from other large terminal on starter soliniod to starter.
(Not responsible for fire, wrong gauge of wire here will make one )

Then if your bypassing relays and everthing else. You will need a momentary switch that send 12 volts to the small terminal on the starter soliniod. (This will activate the soliniod and connect the two large wires(Battery to Starter).

You could pick this 12 volts up from the same switch used for the coil. But you still need the momentary switch to turn the starter.

I would consider fuse or circuit breakers.

There you go. Ask and you shall receive. Isn't this a Great place!

ERRR YEAH BUT NOT SURE OF HOW HE IS WIRED WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICSs, COULD AVOID ALOT OF UNNECASSARY WIRES MAYBE, KEEPING IT SIMPLE, sorry about the cap locs stuck lol

Yea, likely story Jack, But thanks. I'll have to remember "that one" for a response to Glider for "my caps use"....

signed....BUBBIE

Yea, likely story Jack, But thanks. I'll have to remember "that one" for a response to Glider for "my caps use"....

signed....BUBBIE

Really Bubbie, just got my old Dell back up and the key board is acting up, I dont want Glider yelling at me LOL

Back